Postdoctoral Research Fellow
A postdoctoral research fellowship is available in the Levy Lab within the Precision Vaccine Program (PVP), Division of Infectious Diseases at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Prof. Ofer Levy is the Program Director. The position will focus on the human immunity project described below and will be co-mentored by Dr. Levy and Dr. Guzman Sanchez-Schmitz, expert in tissue engineering and Instructor at Harvard Medical School.
Our overarching goals are to unravel the molecular mechanisms underlying distinct immune responses of vulnerable human populations (e.g., the young, elderly or immunocompromised) and apply discoveries to vaccine development. Our approach combines age- and species-specific in vitro modeling of human immunity with a focus on functional, biochemical and systems immunology readouts in relevant in vitro and in vivo model systems. Specifically, we are looking for candidates in a human in vitro modeling.
Human in vitro modeling: The postdoc will lead projects related to developing and employing human microphysiologic three-dimensional in vitro tissue construct systems to characterize age-(newborns/elders) immunity (see Sanchez-Schmitz, G et al Front Immunol 2018: https://doi.org/10.3389/fimmu.2018.02634). Focus will include in vitro modeling of both innate and adaptive immunity and modeling cell mediated immunity in vitro and ex vivo. Systems biology approaches are employed for hypothesis generation and testing, such as transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics. This position is funded by a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation grant and multiple NIH grants.
• A doctoral degree (PhD and/or MD) is required (or soon to be completed), together with a strong track record of productivity, as evidenced by first-authored publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
• The ideal candidate(s) will have a track record of applying innovative experimental strategies to tackle important biologic problems, together with the communication and interpersonal skills required to make a positive contribution to a thriving intellectual environment.
• Experience in maintaining good collaborative external and internal communications a bonus, with a focus on team science and some willingness to contribute to project management.
• Experience in human in vitro modeling, such as Dendritic Cell, T cell evaluation a plus, but not required.
• Prior experience in studying distinct human populations that vary by age, sex, underlying disease or other demographic features is a plus.
• Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
• Full-time position with competitive salary/benefits commensurate with experience. The position(s) is fully funded and may be held for up to 5 years.
• To apply, interested candidates should please email a curriculum vitae (CV) listing the names and contact information for at least two references, a brief statement or cover letter of research interests, motivation and experience (no more than ~1 page), and a publication/manuscript/pre-print the candidate has written, to Dr. Guzman Sanchez-Schmitz (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ofer Levy (email@example.com).
Learn more about us:
• BCH Website: bit.ly/PrecVaccines
• Twitter: @PrecVaccines; @levy_o; @EPICvaccines
Apply for Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly