Medical Scientist Lead HIV
Medical Scientist Lead HIV
Italy - Milan
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Gilead team in Medical Affairs to support the business medical objective. This role has come about through expansion of the team and the role will report to the Director, Medical Affairs HIV and he/she will be preferably based in our office in Milan, Italy.
Overview and key accountabilities:
The Medical Scientist Lead (MS Lead) leads and manages the team of Medical Scientists (MS) in the assigned Therapeutic Area (HIV). Under the leadership of the Medical Affairs Director HIV and in collaboration with the Medical Project Associate Directors, the MS Lead co-develops the Medical Affairs product and TA strategy and ensures execution through the MS team. This requires close national and international collaboration with colleagues from other departments. Key accountabilities include leadership of the HIV MS team at the national level, development of the MS communication and (K)OL engagement strategy, and its implementation based on the Medical Plan of Action (POA). The role is preferably office-based and requires national and international travel (including internal meetings and external scientific conferences). The position reports to the Director Medical Affairs HIV.
The MS Lead provides vision and direction for the MS team
- Leads and manages a team of Medical Scientists at a national level
- Provides clear strategic guidance for the execution of the MS objectives within the TA strategies, medical POAs and cross-functional projects
- Ensures continuous development and training of the team and individual team members based on Gileads MS Competency Model
- Acts as a coach and mentor for MSs considering coaching and feedback as critical elements for unlocking individual capabilities and driving results
- Sets clear performance expectations that are aligned with company and department goals; monitors progress and delivers fair and effective performance reviews
- Ensures appropriate planning and reporting of MS activities
- Plans and monitors the budget for the MS team and MS activities
- Leads hiring of the team and ensures excellent onboarding of new team members
- Participates in the exchange with the medical community and maintains a thought leaders network
- Involvement in the Integrated Field Team activities
The MS Lead is a critical contributor to the development and execution of the Medical Affairs product and TA strategy:
- Contributes to the medical TA leadership and provides strategic input into the TA strategy (medical and cross-functional) and POAs
- Contributes to the development and execution of the Medical Affairs strategy (including medical communication, (K)OL engagement, insight and evidence generation)
- Ensures implementation of international Medical Affairs initiatives on a national level through MS team
- Directs and oversees planning and execution of MS activities, e.g. advisory boards, medical education programs, data generation, ISR and Phase IV support
- Contributes to the overall product strategy by participating in national and international product/brand team(s)
- Collaborates effectively and in a compliant manner with colleagues in other functional areas, e.g. Clinical Research, Sales and Marketing, Market Access, PVE
The MS Lead develops and advances the Medical Science function:
- Reviews, improves, and develops existing and new tools to optimally manage the MS function
- Stays up to date with MS management approaches in the industry and applies them to the Gilead MS team where appropriate
- The MS Lead will be instrumental in establishing and defining this role for the Medical Affairs department. This will include establishing a professional and proactive MS leadership approach according to industry benchmarks. For this purpose the accountability of this position extends beyond assigned TAs and is critical to prepare Medical Affairs for the future.
- Advanced scientific degree (i.e. MD, PharmD, PhD)
Scientific background in infectious diseases, virology, HIV
- People management experience > 3 years (ideally experience in leading field medical based teams)
- Previous experience in Medical Science Liaison as well as Medical Manager/Advisor in infectious diseases, virology, HIV
- Proven track record of planning and executing a medical affairs plan
- Ability to embrace Gilead's patient-centric values, including highest ethical and compliance standards
- Works independently with minimal supervision
- Excellent organizational skills including attention to detail and prioritization
- Strategic mindset with a focus on collaboration and excellence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Italian and English
- At least 5 years pharmaceutical company experience with a minimum of 3 years within Medical Affairs
- Proven ability to work in a cross-functional matrix
- Experience of working in an international environment
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual's gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/Italy---Milan/Medical-Scientist-Lead-HIV_R0018459
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency