Assistant/Associate Editor, Cancer Research
Job Category: Full-time/Non-Exempt
Reports to: Executive Editor, Cancer Research
Location: Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington DC
About the AACR:
The American Association for Cancer Research (AACR), with more than 48,000 members residing in 127 countries, is the first and largest organization in the world dedicated to advances in all areas of high-quality, innovative cancer research. Its mission is to prevent and cure all cancers. The programs and activities of the AACR foster the exchange of new knowledge among scientists and physicians in cancer research as well as in related sciences. The AACR publishes nine peer-reviewed scientific journals and an award-winning magazine for cancer patients and their loved ones; convenes topical scientific conferences and an annual meeting that draws more than 22,500 participants; offers educational workshops that train young investigators in a variety of scientific and clinical areas; funds research fellowships, career development awards, and research grants for both senior and junior investigators; raises public awareness of the progress in the biology, detection, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of cancer; engages actively in advocacy for increased federal research funding and other national policies that accelerate progress against cancer; and interacts with regulatory agencies to support regulatory science and policy.
The AACR has an exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about cancer research to join the editorial team of Cancer Research. Depending on prior experience, the position is offered at the Assistant or Associate level.
The Editor, Cancer Research, will handle manuscript submissions for the journal throughout the review process. This person will commission reviews and other content, write and edit for the journal, and promote the journal through outreach and networking efforts. As a key member of the of the publications group, the Editor, Cancer Research, will have a highly visible role both within the Association and in the larger cancer research community.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to defining the journal scope and policy implementation in conjunction with the Executive Editor and Editor-in-Chief.
- Assist the Executive Editor in managing/participating in peer-review process to ensure quality and timely handling of submissions.
- Assist the Executive Editor with development, composition, and editing of content.
- Identify and recruit exceptional original research, reviews, and special feature content in the broad field of cancer research.
- Communicate with authors, editors, reviewers, and readers regarding all aspects of the journal.
- Represent the journal and the AACR at scientific meetings and institutional visits.
- Stay abreast of the cancer research field and develop excellent relationships with the research community.
- Provide input for monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on the performance of Cancer Research and activities of competing journals.
- Collaborate with the staff of the eight “sibling” AACR journals to ensure good communication and promotion of synergistic opportunities.
Required Qualifications and Competencies:
- PhD in a biomedical or clinical science
- Authorization to work in the United States.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Expertise in cancer science.
- Publication record in cancer research desirable.
- Experience in evaluating manuscripts during the peer review process or as an editorial board member for cancer or cancer-related biomedical journals.
- Ability to communicate directly with researchers and to translate technical scientific content for scientists working in other disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Independent, self motivated, consistently demonstrating initiative and commitment.
- Able to travel to relevant scientific meetings and research institutes.
How to Apply
This position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please email a cover letter explaining why you are interested, along with your current curriculum vitae to https://careers-aacr.icims.com/jobs/1245/editor/job .
Equal Opportunity Employer