Group Leader, Cell Atlas Initiative
In September 2016, Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg committed $600 million over 10 years to fund the CZ Biohub, a one-of-a-kind independent non-profit research institute that brings together three powerhouse universities - Stanford, UC Berkeley, and UC San Francisco - into a single collaborative technology and discovery engine. The CZ Biohub itself supports some of the brightest, boldest engineers, data scientists, and biomedical researchers to make breakthroughs in medicine and develop new technologies, frequently in collaboration with our partner universities. Current projects include: The Cell Atlas Initiative to unlock basic mysteries of cell biology, showing how cells work in healthy people and, more importantly, what takes place when disease strikes; and the Infectious Disease Initiative, which focuses on emerging viruses, host-pathogen interactions, vaccines and rapid response to support the global fight against infectious diseases. CZ Biohub provides the best technologies and tools available – and when they don’t exist yet – CZ Biohub builds them.
The Chan Zuckerberg Biohub seeks an outstanding scientist for the position of Group Leader within the Cell Atlas initiative. The group leader will build, direct and actively (including hands-on in the laboratory) participate in a small, fully funded team conducting innovative and impactful research directed towards the Biohub’s scientific mission to understand the fundamental mechanisms underlying disease and to develop new technologies that will lead to actionable diagnostics and effective therapies. The ideal candidate will initiate a research program that creatively uses zebrafish as a model for human disease, infection, immune responses and/or development, although outstanding candidates in other areas of cell biology complementary to efforts at Biohub will also be considered. Candidates should have a demonstrated track record of achievement and a willingness to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Be a hands-on leader that establishes and actively engages in an innovative, vigorous and collaborative research program aligned with the mission of CZ Biohub
- Provide vision, technical guidance and mentorship to team members
- Work collaboratively and actively engage with colleagues throughout the Biohub to maintain our culture of scholarly excellence, innovation, open communication and partnership and opportunity
- Communicate progress and results with colleagues and the leadership team
- Publish impactful findings and the products of your research in journals, open access archives (medRxiv, bioRxiv) and/or software services (i.e. Github)
- PhD or MD with relevant research experience
- A minimum of 2 years post-doctoral experience
- Demonstrated leadership, track record of innovation, and ability to work collaboratively
- Supervisory or mentoring experience a plus but not required
- A vision to carry out or continue an innovative and impactful research program
What We Provide
- Resources (i.e. funding and equipment) to disrupt and innovate at the frontiers of our knowledge of biology and disease.
- A collegial and collaborative environment consisting of diverse expertise
- Opportunities to collaborate with Biohub’s innovative technology platforms, including Data Science, Genomics, Mass Spectrometry, Bioengineering and Computational Microscopy.
- State-of-the-art laser light sheet microscopy and automated microscopy capabilities
- Access to collaborators, resources and facilities at the three partner campuses (UCSF, Berkeley and Stanford) and at partner institutions in the Bay Area and beyond
- Ability to sponsor candidates for the Collaborative CZ Biohub Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards
With your application, please submit:
- Your CV and a complete list of publications
- Your Cover letter should include,
- A statement explaining why you want to work with us and how you are qualified for this role
- A statement of past and present research accomplishments and an outline of future goals (2-4 pages max.)
- Names and contact information for 3 references familiar with your research and leadership abilities
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. We also offer a robust benefits program that enables the important work Biohubbers do every day. Our benefits include healthcare coverage, life and disability insurance, commuter subsidies, family planning services with fertility care, childcare stipend, 401(k) match, flexible time off and a generous parental leave policy. In addition, we honor our commitment to career development and our value of scholarly excellence through regular onsite opportunities to learn from the world's leading scientists.
CZ Biohub is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity of thought, ideas and perspectives. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive organization where all Biohubbers feel inspired and know their work makes an important contribution. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this Web site or directly to managers. CZ Biohub does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. CZ Biohub will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with CZ Biohub.