Research Chemical Engineer / Chemist
Research Chemical Engineer/Chemist GS-12/13
Salary Range of $77,488 to $119,787
The USDA, Agricultural Research Service (ARS), Midwest Area is seeking a Research Chemical Engineer/Chemist to serve in the Renewable Product Technology Research Unit (RPT) located in Peoria, Illinois at the National Center for Agricultural Utilization Research. The overall mission of RPT is to develop technologies that employ a variety of chemical, microbial, biochemical, and genetic approaches for converting agricultural materials into new marketable value-added bioproducts. This research is a component of the ARS National Program 306-Product Quality and New Uses.
- Develop new biocatalytic and/or chemocatalytic processes for production of commercially viable value-added products (e.g., chemicals, polymers, and antimicrobials) from commodity crops, crop oils, coproducts, and/or agricultural residues.
- Use state of the art chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology, enzymology, molecular biology, physical and analytical methodologies, and/or engineering technologies to synthesize bioproducts.
- Optimize processes to maximize yield and purity of bioproducts to commercially feasible levels by relying on available or new technologies.
- Establish collaborations with government, academic, and industrial scientists to continually advance research progress.
- Develop a stakeholder base of biorefining and commercial partners to advocate for enhancing the research program and to enable commercialization of new products.
- Prepare written reports and presentations based on research to be peer-reviewed and published in professional articles, publications, patents, and technical abstracts.
- Develop and write project plans, technology transfer agreements, and extramural research grant proposals that enhance goals to address research priorities.
- Provide leadership and direction to employee(s) through research meetings, discussions, and counseling.
U.S. Citizenship is required. This announcement will open 04/12/2021 and will close on 05/11/2021.
Application procedure: Christina Olshawsky Christina.Olshawsky@usda.gov 309-681-6482
Scientific information: Dr. Chris Skory Chris.Skory@usda.gov 309-681-6275
To view additional details about this position and complete application instructions, go to the USAJobs Web site: https://www.usajobs.gov/ and refer to announcement number ARS-D21MWA-11079315-CLO. Please note that the announcement number will not be accessible until 04/12/2021.
USDA/ARS is an equal opportunity employer and provider