DNA Sequencing Specialists
The Research Support Division (RSD) contributes to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of RSD shall provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of RSD shall provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety, and other support to research activities.
As one of the technical sections of RSD, DNA Sequencing Section provides support to researchers in promoting advances in biological science by providing genomic analysis services. Services offered include next-generation sequencing (NGS) support in a wide range of NGS applications, such as de novo genome sequencing, re-sequencing, RNA sequencing, and ChIP-sequencing, etc. Currently, the section has the following NGS sequencers: Illumina NovaSeq6000, Illumina MiSeq, Illumina iSeq, PacBio Sequel II, Oxford Nanopore MinION, and Oxford Nanopore PromethION. In addition, the section owns capillary sequencers, realtime PCR, microarray and etc. for common use.
The OIST DNA Sequencing Section seeks highly-motivated and team-oriented technical specialists to expand DNA sequencing capability within the university. The principle responsibility of the positions will be to support OIST researchers with sequencing needs by providing consultation on experimental protocols, accepting DNA, RNA, and various tissue samples, preparing libraries, operating the latest sequencers, and submitting collected data to requesters. Experienced Specialist will also be required to assist the management of the Section.
Location 1919‐1 Tancha, Onna‐son, Okinawa, Japan 904-0495
1. Support OIST researchers in their DNA sequencing to include:
- Provide consultation to researchers on experimental protocols and sequencing strategies based on their research purposes.
- Accept and prepare DNA, RNA and various tissue samples for sequencing library
- Operate the latest DNA sequencers and submit collected data to researchers
2. Collect and share the latest IT and biological trends to section members to improve the Section’s service quality.
3. Carry out routine cleaning and maintenance of sequencers and tools within the sequencing facility.
4. Other duties as assigned by the DNA Sequencing Section Leader.
5. Standardization of the existing experimental protocols for the team.
6. Networking with external specialists for improvement and enhancement of the Section’s operations.
7. Spearhead a selection of new equipment and reagents.
8. For experienced Specialist, improvement of existing work processes and proposals, development, and implementation of new operating workflows.
1. A master's degree or equivalent in a scientific or technical field.
2. Experience with scientific research are required.
3. A minimum of 3 years of experience in using the latest sequencing technologies either as a researcher or research support staff.
4. Ability to think logically and work systematically and accurately. Fairness, Sincerity, Honesty, and Team player.
5. Ability to effectively communicate and provide customer-oriented service to researchers in English both written and spoken.
6. Good team player and ability to mentor and coach less experienced members.
7. Ability to mentor and coach less experienced members.
8. Ability to judge priorities and run multiple tasks and projects in parallel under minimum supervision by the section leader.
9. Strong problem-finding and solving skills in core facility operations and research support.