Tenure-track Assistant Professor in Clinical metagenomics (human microbiome)
UNIL is a leading international teaching and research institution, with over 5,000 employees and 15,500 students split between its Dorigny campus, CHUV and Epalinges. UNIL and CHUV encourage excellence, individual recognition and responsibility. The Faculty of Biology and Medicine (FBM) and the Lausanne University Hospital (CHUV) are inviting applications for a position of:
Tenure-track Assistant Professor to Associate Professeur
in Clinical metagenomics (human microbiome)
Starting date: 1st January 2022
Place: Lausanne, Switzerland
The Institute of Microbiology is one of the nine services of the Department of Laboratories at CHUV. The Institute hosts 8 research groups active in Bacteriology, Mycology or Virology. Four additional external research groups with a strong interest in microbiology are further increasing the critical mass of researchers in this institute of 5 floors located in the heart of the University Hospital Campus. Thus, the Institute of Microbiology accommodates 1 group active in Bacteriology (Chlamydia, Waddlia, Parachlamydia), 1 group specialized in epidemiology of bacterial infections (Legionella and S. aureus), 1 group specialiszed in the division of Gram negative bacteria (Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa), 5 groups working in virology (HIV, HPV, HCV/HBV, SARS-CoV-2, hemorrhagic fever virus) as well as 4 groups studying fungi (Aspergillus, Candida, Pneumocystis, dermatophytes).
As part of the newly launched National Centre of Competence Research (NCCR Microbiomes), the IMUL is looking for an outstanding junior individual whose research excels in human microbiome research.
- develop an internationally recognized research programme funded by external sources,
- develop a strong collaborative research within the NCCR Microbiomes,
- supervise Master and PhD students,
- participate in teaching activities in Microbiology
- responsibility of the diagnostic microbiota laboratory (ISO 15189)
- Federal diploma in medicine or title recognized by the Federal Commission for Medical Professions (Mebeko), MD, PhD or MD-PhD,
- Ideally some expertise in diagnostic microbiology (FAMH title or equivalent titles recognized by the Mebeko) in order to lead the diagnostic microbiota laboratory.
- Biologist or medical doctor specialized in genomics and human microbiota. Specific skills in bioinformatics are welcome.
- Experience in conducting an independent research supported by external funding
- Skills in the domains of organization, interdisciplinary collaboration and networks, as well as in administrative and human resources management
- Proficiency in French (level at least B2, C1 ideally) or ability to acquire it quickly
Further information may be obtained from Prof. Gilbert Greub (firstname.lastname@example.org), Head of Department and Service.
Applications, in English, will include a motivation letter, a curriculum vitae, a copy of the five most relevant publications, as well as names and contact information of three referees, a brief statement of research interests and teaching experience and a copy of diplomas. They should be submitted online by May 30th 2021 (23:59 GMT+1) to wwwfbm.unil.ch/releve/application/ as a single PDF file.
The job description is available on the same link .
We offer a pleasant working atmosphere in a multicultural, diverse and dynamic academic environment. There are possibilities for continuing professional education and a multitude of activities and other benefits to discover.
UNIL and CHUV are committed to promoting gender equality and diversity and strongly encourage applications from female candidates. www.unil.ch/egalite