Postdoctoral Fellowship - Sleep, Physical Activity and Cognitive Health
Research program title
Sleep, physical activity and cognitive health
A good quality of sleep and an active lifestyle constitute important health behaviors for the promotion of physical, mental and cognitive health. Sleep and physical activity are highly interdependent, and their effects on health outcomes are therefore likely to be synergistic. However, there is lack of research on the combined effects of sleep and exercise on cognitive health, especially on memory consolidation. The present research program investigates how sleep and exercise interact to promote brain health, and may be combined for interventions targeting sleep quality and the prevention of cognitive decline.
The selected postdoctoral fellow will have the opportunity to work on a research program that will examine the relationships between sleep, physical activity and cognitive performances in various populations, using a multimodal approach. This program will contribute to a deeper understanding of the role of sleep and exercise on memory and cognitive decline, and may have clinical implications for future therapeutic approaches.
The fellow will have access to Concordia’s PERFORM Center, an 8000m2 facility dedicated to health prevention that hosts multiple research platforms such as a Sleep Lab, a Conditioning Floor, a Cardiopulmonary Suite and an Imaging Suite (including a 3-Tesla MRI), fully dedicated to research.
Academic qualifications required
PhD in neuroscience, physiology, kinesiology, psychology, biomedical science or related disciplines, with demonstrated expertise and high-quality publication record in at least one of the following areas: human sleep research, cognitive neuroscience, physical activity interventions. Additional experience with signal processing (e.g., EEG, neuroimaging) and programming skills (e.g., Matlab) will constitute an asset.
- Applicants must not currently hold a postdoctoral appointment at Concordia
- Priority will be given to postdoctoral fellows who have obtained their PhD from another university although in exceptional cases Concordia graduates may be considered
- Applicants must adhere to the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria outlined in Concordia University’s Postdoctoral Policy
The Postdoctoral Fellow must start their appointment by March 1, 2022.
- All documents must be submitted to Niyusha Samadi.
- Please include the reference number with your application
- One to three (1-3) page research statement demonstrating fit with the program described above.
- Current curriculum vitae demonstrating research excellence and a capacity for leadership in the domain (maximum 5 pages).
- Two letters of reference from academic supervisors or current employers to be sent via e-mail directly to Niyusha Samadi.
The prestigious two-year Horizon Postdoctoral Fellowships are valued at $50,000 per year plus benefits and full access to Concordia’s services, including GradProSkills.
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellowship - Sleep, Physical Activity and Cognitive Health
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly