Postdoctoral Position (m/f/d) in Neuroscience
What we are looking for
The BioMed X Institute in Heidelberg, Germany, is establishing a new, fully funded research group in the field of:
Advanced Biomarker Detection for Pharmacological Monitoring in the Brain
If you hold a PhD or Master’s degree and have an outstanding track record or strong interest in the fields of biomarker detection and neuroscience, we invite you to apply with a project proposal for this position in our new research group (1 group leader, 2 postdoctoral researchers, 2 research assistants).
Each BioMed X project team is sponsored by an industry partner. The sponsor of this call for application is Boehringer Ingelheim.
The process of developing active drugs against neuropsychiatric diseases involves establishing a robust relationship between the pharmacodynamic (PD) effect and the pharmacokinetic (PK) parameters of the new drug candidate for taking PK/PD-based decisions.
The task of the new research group is to develop a better in vivo PK/PD sensor platform supporting the continuous, real-time measurement of specific small molecules directly in brain tissue of rodent models (i.e., pharmacological substances, their metabolites, or pharmacologically triggered effector molecules).
Key drivers of success are high sensitivity / specificity (nanomolar), low invasiveness (minimal impact on brain tissue and animal behavior), high stability (continuous measurement of changes over time), versatility (applicable to various kinds of small molecules), and high spatial / temporal resolution (millimeters / seconds).
There are no limitations regarding the underlying sensing principle. Very original ideas based on first experimental findings are particularly encouraged.
Candidates for postdoctoral positions are expected to have completed a PhD or equivalent within the last four years and a certain degree of specialization in one or more relevant cutting-edge technologies.
What we offer
- A position in a fully funded research group, the funding package covering salaries, consumables, services, travels, as well as access to the core facilities of neighboring research institutions and biotechnology companies in Heidelberg.
- An initial term of two years, with the possibility of prolongation for up to two additional years.
- An exciting research opportunity in a multidisciplinary and international research institution with a very collegial and flexible working environment.
There is flexibility over starting dates, but successful applicants are welcome to take up post starting September 1, 2021.
Application & Selection Process
- Please apply online at https://apply.bio.mx/call/2021-C02
- As part of the online application procedure, you will be asked to submit: (i) A competitive project proposal that gives us an idea of your scientific expertise and creative potential (3-5 pages describing an interesting core hypothesis, scientific rationale, and a unique experimental approach). Proposals building on very original ideas supported by first experimental findings are particularly encouraged; (ii) Your curriculum vitae including your publication record.
- Deadline for applications: May 23, 2021.
- After a first selection round, candidates will be invited to a five-day innovation boot camp in Heidelberg (or virtual if pandemic regulations do not allow onsite meetings) from July 25 to 29, 2021. With guidance of experienced mentors, candidates will jointly work on their project proposals and present them in front of a jury on the final day. Successful candidates will be offered a position at the BioMed X Institute in Heidelberg, Germany.
About BioMed X
BioMed X is an independent research institute located on the campus of the University of Heidelberg in Germany. Together with our partners, we identify big biomedical research challenges and provide creative solutions by combining global crowdsourcing with local incubation of the world’s brightest early-career research talents. Each of the highly diverse research teams at BioMed X has access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and is continuously guided by experienced mentors from academia and industry. At BioMed X, we combine the best of two worlds – academia and industry – and enable breakthrough innovation by making biomedical research more efficient, more agile, and more fun.
BioMed X Institute
Im Neuenheimer Feld 515