Postdoctoral Researcher (f/m/d) Global Regression & Optimisation in High Dimensions
As a member of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers, the HZDR employs about 1,400 people. The Center's focus is on interdisciplinary research in the areas energy, health and matter.
The Center for Advanced Systems Understanding (CASUS) is a German-Polish research center for data-intensive digital systems research. We combine innovative methods from mathematics, theoretical systems research, simulations, data science, artificial intelligence, and computer science to provide solutions for a range of disciplines – materials science under ambient and extreme conditions, earth system research, systems biology and medicine, and autonomous vehicles.
CASUS was jointly founded in August 2019 by the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf (HZDR), the Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics (MPI-CBG), the Technical University of Dresden (TUD) and the University of Wroclaw (UWr). CASUS is located in the heart of Görlitz at the border between Germany and Poland. The CASUS start-up phase is hosted by the Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf and is financed by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the Saxon State Ministry for Higher Education, Research and the Arts (SMWK).
Detailed information can be found here: www.hzdr.de
The CASUS Department of Systems Biology is looking for a
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCHER (F/M/D)
GLOBAL REGRESSION & OPTIMISATION IN HIGH DIMENSIONS – MATHEMATICAL FOUNDATIONS OF COMPLEX SYSTEMS SCIENCE
excited about novel mathematical approaches to fundamental algorithms in scientific computing. Consideration of candidates will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
The place of work is Görlitz. The working time amounts to 39 h/week.
THE SCOPE OF YOUR JOB:
The position is part of the Young Investigator Research Group Mathematical Foundations of Complex System Science. The project rests on recent advances in multivariate polynomial interpolation/regression given by the generalisation of the classic 1D Newton & Lagrange interpolation schemes to arbitrary dimensions. This allows to derive fast O(N log(N)) polynomial interpolation algorithms avoiding Runge’s phenomenon (over-fitting). In light of these facts, a novel class of numerical integration schemes, spectral PDE solvers, global optimisation algorithms, can be formulated and shall be implemented. Applications include, Hyperparameter Optimisation of Artificial Neural Nets, Non-Convex Optimisation, Adaptive Optics, Inverse Problems e.g. phase retrieval & image reconstruction.
You will work with experts in the field of mathematics, computer science, physics and mechanical engineering to further develop the algorithmic foundations, and with colleagues from the other CASUS Departments in order to apply the new algorithms. In particular the CASUS professional support will assist in parallelizing and optimising the algorithms for High Performance Computing (HPC).
- Extend the existing Open Source minterpy Python package by adding novel algorithms and HPC bindings
- Implement non-linear high-dimensional Regression Schemes
- Optimise & Extend Global Optimistion Algorithms
- Apply the approach to “real world” problems occurring in the CASUS research projects such as: Biomarker Identification, Adaptive Optics, Inverse Problems (phase retrieval), Neural Net Regularisation & Analysis
- Publish your results in academic, peer-reviewed journals
- Present your results at scientific meetings
- PhD in Mathematics, Physics, Computer Sciences, Mechanical Engineering or related fields
- A solid background in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science and Numerical Analysis
- Excellent programming skills in Python and C++
- Experience in optimisation and high-dimensional statistics
- Strong motivation to work in a collaborative and interdisciplinary environment
- Excellent communication skills in English and in a professional context (presentation of research results at scientific meetings, colloquial discussions, writing of manuscripts).
- A vibrant research community in an open, diverse, and international work environment
- Scientific excellence and high quality of training according to the Helmholtz Doctoral Guidelines
- Broad national and international science networks
- Cutting-edge, professionally managed high-performance computing resources
- Scientific computing and software engineering support team
- The employment contract is limited until project completion with the possibility of longer-term prospects
- Salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement TVöD-Bund
- 30 Vacation Days per year
- Company pension scheme (VBL)
- A good work/life balance for which we offer assistance in the form of:
- possibility to work part-time
- flexible working hours
- in-house health management
Kindly submit your completed application (including cover letter, CV, diplomas/transcripts, etc.) only via our online application system.
The HZDR is committed to equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage applications from qualified female candidates. We also carefully consider all applications from job candidates with severe disabilities.
Bautzner Landstraße 400
For any questions, do not hesitate to ask:
Dr. Michael Bussmann
Tel.: +49 3581 37523-11,
+49 351 260-2616
Dr. Michael Hecht
Mrs. Weronika Mazur
Tel.: +49 3581 37523-23,
+49 171 3635554,
Mrs. Inken Köhler
Tel.: +49 3581 37523-10