ABOUT US: Scripps Research is ranked the most influential institution in the world for its impact on innovation. We expand basic knowledge in the biosciences and use these fundamental advancements to develop profound innovations that improve wellbeing. Our educational and training programs mold talented and committed students and postdocs into leading edge scientists. Scientists in the institute’s five academic research departments work hand-in-hand with researchers of the Scripps Research Translational Institute and Calibr to merge foundational studies in biology, chemistry and computer science with translational science to produce pioneering drugs and advances in digital and precision medicine. Together, we cultivate new scientific leaders and expand the frontiers of knowledge to deliver medical breakthroughs to better human health around the globe. If you have a passion for making a difference, this could be your opportunity to join our transformative team.
POSITION TITLE: Postdoctoral Associate
The Martins lab in the Department of Immunology and Microbiology at Scripps Florida is seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral research fellow to lead an NIH-funded project focused on pre-clinical development of immune interventions against HIV/AIDS. The successful applicant will work on approaches to improve AAV-mediated gene therapy with anti-HIV biologics in rhesus macaques, with the ultimate goal of achieving durable control of SIV/SHIV replication in the absence of antiretroviral therapy.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- The successful candidate will work in a highly collaborative environment focused on pre-clinical development of immune interventions against HIV/AIDS.
- Specific responsibilities include planning, designing, completing and troubleshooting assays.
- The candidate will be expected to prepare technical summaries for presentation during lab meetings, compose manuscripts for publication, and present results at national and international meetings.
- The ideal candidate should be committed to pursuing a career in research and have interest in innovative and multi-disciplinary approaches to combat infectious disease of global relevance.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Interested candidates must have a Ph.D. and/or M.D.
- Applicants should have a strong background in immunology and virology. Emphasis on of retrovirology is preferred, but not required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
- Candidates will also be expected to work independently and as part of a team of collaborators.
- Experience working with nonhuman primates is preferred, but not required.
- This position works in a laboratory or vivarium environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
To be considered, interested candidates must submit the following materials: a cover letter (including experience, research and career goals, and interests as related to our research), Curriculum Vitae, and complete contact information for at least three professional references.
A Postdoctoral Associate is a direct pay individual in a Division 3 status. Postdoctoral Associates are appointed positions for the purpose of developing scholarly competence, working under the supervision of a Scripps Research Faculty member. These appointments are normally not renewed beyond a total of six years. Postdoctoral Associates cannot apply for external funding either as a Principal Investigator or Co-Principal Investigator without prior approval from a Departmental Chair. Postdoctoral Associates do not have consulting privileges.
The above statements describe the level of work performed and expected in general terms. The statements are not intended to list all the responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of employees so classified, and the content herein is subject to change due to the business needs of Scripps Research, with or without notice. Furthermore, nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to be in conflict with or to eliminate or modify in any way the employment-at-will status of Scripps Research staff.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
The safety and well-being of our candidates, our people and their families continues to be a top priority. Until restrictions change, interviews will be conducted virtually. New hires will work remotely, unless specifically authorized for campus access.