Medical Director - Ophthalmology
We believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives. We are courageous in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
We are proud of who we are, what we do, and how we do it. We are many, working as one across functions, across companies, and across the world.
We are Roche.
Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) Ophtalmology is in constant evolution. Our current focus are retinal diseases, but we are constantly looking into novel opportunities such as Dry Eye Disease or Glaucoma. In order to deliver innovative treatments to our patients, we are looking for a Medical Director to contribute to the development of our Ophthalmology department with focus on Dry Eye Disease/Glaucoma & Retinal Diseases.
As a Medical Director, you lead cross-functional clinical teams for clinical and regulatory aspects to move new potential therapies – ranging from small molecules over biologics to gene therapy - from pre-clinical to early clinical development. You are the functional lead of Clinical Scientists assigned to the projects and report to the Global Head of Ophthalmology. You collaborate with a multitude of other functions (e.g. Pharmacology, Toxicology, Drug Safety, Regulatory Affairs, Biometrics, Late Stage Development, Commercial, and eventually external partners) and develop clinical strategies for novel molecules, targets, or indications in overseeing the field and are cognizant of innovations in it.
You are accountable for delivery of study protocols, study conduct, and study read out and responsible for developing and ensuring effective and efficient execution of the clinical programs. As the face of the Ophthalmology Translational Medicine Team, you represent this team internally at governance meetings, externally at congresses, at interactions with health authorities, and when meeting external partners and collaborators.
Position Scope and Impact:
- Leads clinical teams, comprising different functions to drive projects from preclinical through early clinical development
- Develops and presents the clinical development plan to management boards to progress the project through governance
- Represents clinical functions in preclinical discovery projects and clinical project teams to ensure inclusion of important clinical aspects from start
- Represents the clinical function at health authority interactions
- Contributes to disease area strategy planning to influence the future portfolio
- Participates in evaluating external opportunities
- Establishes new research areas to adapt to new needs and maintain a rich pipeline
- Organizes scientific advisory board meetings to gather state of the art input
- Establishes and leads external collaborations in line with disease area strategy to integrate Roche into the scientific community and foster scientific exchange
- Represents Roche at congresses to create and maintain the awareness of Roche in Ophthalmology
- Acts as key clinical scientific contact / medical monitor in clinical studies
- Develops and maintains talent in clinical functions to ensure sustained high level of clinical expertise
- Maintains external scientific presence through high quality publications in peer-reviewed journals and oral presentations in international conferences
Education and experience:
- You are MD or MD/PhD in ophthalmology or, in another therapeutic area but complemented with, at least 10 years ‘experience in the ophthalmology field and with a clinical development expertise.
- A Board Certification in ophthalmology is a strong asset for the role.
- An experience in retinal diseases, retinal imaging or gene therapy ; or an experience in diseases of the anterior segment such as dry eye disease or glaucoma are a strong plus for this role.
- You bring a strong track record of scientific excellence (high quality publications in the field) and be considered a key opinion leader in the field. Please include them in your application.
- Experience in clinical drug development is an asset, ideally early stages
Are you ready to apply? Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represents a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.