Chair in Bacterial Infection Biology
Utrecht University is pleased to invite applications for a Chair in Bacterial Infection Biology. The Chair will be appointed at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and its Division of Infectious Diseases & Immunology to drive research and education as well as further strengthen and develop collaboration in this are
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine is a leading veterinary knowledge centre with a global reputation providing education and performing fundamental and applied research in the fields of animal health, diseases and welfare, and into related aspects of public health and the environment. This ambition requires multidisciplinary expertise over the entire spectrum from molecule to population. The Division of Infectious Diseases & Immunology is part of the Department of Biomolecular Health Sciences, and is renowned for its expertise in the fields of clinical veterinary infectiology, immunology, infection biology, virology, molecular resistance and tick diseases.
The successful appointee will provide leadership to the Bacterial Infection Biology group and will be responsible for the overall quality of work as well as the associated (fundamental) research and teaching programmes. With an international reputation for excellence in innovative science in the field of (veterinary) bacterial infection biology, s/he will also be expected to contribute to the ongoing innovation of the educational curriculum.
The Bacterial Infection Biology group investigates the molecular interplay between bacteria and host mucosal tissue with the ultimate goal to develop novel therapy and prevention tools. The primary research aim is to unravel the mechanisms as to the how friendly (commensal) and harmful (pathogenic) bacteria can benefit from, adjust, or breach the host mucosal barrier.
The primary responsibilities and tasks of the Chair Bacterial Infection Biology include research, education and management.
The primary tasks of the appointee are to:
- lead the Bacterial Infection Biology group being a role model, connector and strong motivator for all staff members; ensuring a healthy, productive and safe work environment;
- initiate and supervise the development and delivery of internationally respected and innovative research in the area of bacterial infection biology, and acquiring appropriate research funding;
- stimulate scientific excellence through the training, supervision and mentoring of postdocs, PhD students and BSc and MSc research internships;
- contribute to outstanding education and designing innovative and high-quality teaching programmes in bacterial infection biology;
- manage the day-to-day activities of the group, and ensure compliance with local and national regulations; especially in the area of biosafety;
- contribute to the organisation, day-to-day activities and cohesion of the Group;
- contribute to and further expand collaborations within the Department, Faculty, and Utrecht Life Sciences.
The post-holder will be expected to:
- hold a PhD degree in the field of (veterinary) bacterial infection biology or related fields;
- have an international reputation for excellence in research in the field of (veterinary) bacterial infection biology demonstrated by an outstanding publication record and a proven track of attracting external funding;
- have a clear vision on the opportunities and challenges of the field of (veterinary) bacterial infection biology;
- have excellent communication and proven management and leadership skills focused on inspiring co-workers to achieve excellence;
- have an interest in developing innovative teaching methods;
- have experience with research in an international setting; have a strong international research network of collaborators;
- have good organizational skills and ability to work in a structured manner; and
- have a strong proficiency in English and a willingness, and capacity, to learn Dutch.
Conditions of Employment
The position is offered on a fulltime basis. The gross monthly salary is dependent on previous qualifications and experience and ranges between €5,749 and €8,371 (scale H2 Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities). Salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8 % of annual salary and a year-end bonus of 8.3 % of annual salary per year. Additionally, Utrecht University offers an attractive package of secondary employment benefits.
Additional information can be downloaded at www.perrettlaver.com/candidates, quoting reference number 5061. Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions at Rahel.Kessler@perrettlaver.com or +31 (0)20 240 9344.
How to Apply
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver to assist the recruitment committee. Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions on email@example.com or +31 (0)20 240 9344. Applications can be uploaded at https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/, quoting the reference number 5061, and should consist of a completed qualification portfolio and a covering letter. The qualification portfolio is available on aforementioned website, as ‘additional information’.
The closing date for applications is 9 am CET on Wednesday 28th April.
Applications will be considered by the selection committee on 11th May 2021 and shortlisted candidates will then be invited to speak informally with the University. Formal interviews will take place online on Thursday 20th and Friday 21st May 2021. A second round of interviews combined with a campus visit will take place thereafter. An assessment on leadership competences can be part of the selection procedure.
As defined under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) Perrett Laver is a Data Controller and a Data Processor, and our legal basis for processing your personal data is ‘Legitimate Interest’. For more information about this, your rights, and our approach to Data Protection and Privacy, please visit our website.