Scientist, Antigen Production
Reports to the Head of Biological Discovery, Dr. Rob Meijers.
The Institute for Protein Innovation (IPI) is a nonprofit research organization advancing protein science to accelerate research and improve human health. Located on the Harvard Medical School campus in the Boston Longwood Medical Area, IPI is pioneering a new way of doing science that uniquely combines the freedom of academia with the high-throughput scaling of industry to take on transformative projects. IPI has built a robust platform and a repository of synthetic antibodies and other protein tools to share with the biomedical community through licensing and collaboration. The Institute’s deep protein expertise, collaborative spirit and fit-for-purpose antibodies are powering new biomedical and therapeutic discoveries for academic and industrial researchers worldwide.
IPI’s flagship project, the “Antibody Initiative,” aims to create well-characterized, synthetic antibodies against human cell surface receptors and their ligands, particularly those that are traditionally difficult to target. These antibodies may have high therapeutic and diagnostic potential but will also serve to enable basic biological discovery.
The Scientist, Antigen Production will play an essential role in the design, expression, purification and characterization of antigens for this Initiative and for other key IPI projects. Specifically, the successful candidate will join the Protein Group, a dynamic team generating high-quality antigens (for the selection of synthetic antibodies) and proteins (for structural and mechanistic studies). With postdoctoral or commensurate experience in structural biology, the Scientist will bring deep knowledge of protein structure and function to design constructs that enable the creation of conformational-specific antibodies and structures. The Scientist will also have proven experience in mammalian cell expression and protein purification, especially related to glycoproteins.
A creative, independent thinker, the Scientist will generate new ideas for optimization but also be able to work in close collaboration with the other members of the Antibody Initiative team. With a passion for science, the candidate will contribute to a wide array of biological discovery projects and have the opportunity to propose novel projects that arise out of existing efforts or collaborations. As this position is highly collaborative, strong communication skills are needed. The Scientist will engage with outside collaborators, translate their biological questions into novel protein reagents and share these reagents with the larger research community through abstracts, presentations and publications.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Design and produce synthetic gene constructs of glycoprotein families; use a deep understanding of protein structure and function to create novel protein constructs
- Express, purify, and characterize glycoproteins from mammalian cells
- Leverage robotics and automation to increase the quality and throughput of antigen production at IPI
- Supervise research associates and coordinate with other scientists to ensure efficient, high-quality antigen production
- Actively lead experimental design and data production for collaborations and scientific publications
- Participate in meetings and conferences to engage and recruit outside research groups to participate in the Antibody Initiative
- PhD degree and more than five years of experience in mammalian protein expression, protein biochemistry or structural biology. Depending on the level of expertise, the successful candidate will be offered a Scientist position.
- Well acquainted with structural/phylogenetic/molecular biology tools for construct design
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, intellectually challenging environment
- Enthusiastic team member with strong commitment to mission and a desire to conduct impactful science
IPI is an independent 501(3)(c) nonprofit research organization and an equal opportunity employer. The Institute celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If interested, please email your resume to: email@example.com. This search will close April 12, 2021
Apply for Scientist, Antigen Production
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly