VIB is an entrepreneurial Center of Excellence in Life Sciences located in Flanders, Belgium, vib.be. The mission of VIB is to conduct world-leading strategic basic research to unravel life processes and systems and to translate the resulting knowledge proactively into economic and other benefits for society at large. Hence, our motto ‘VIB, Science with Impact’. VIB is managed by a tandem of 2 co-managing directors (MD), reflecting the dual goal of VIB: Excellence in science + Excellence in economic and societal impact. This tandem is the key decision-body on strategy formulation and implementation of VIB. Due to the retirement of the current Managing Director Science Policy, VIB is seeking an international, dynamic, inspirational, and experienced leader as his successor. The new Co-Managing Director of VIB should ideally start in Q1 2022.
The MD Science Policy shares with the MD Innovation and Business the responsibility for the institutional leadership, strategy, and management of VIB. Key elements are:
- Leading VIB’s strategy and implementation of institutional initiatives to advance novel scientific discoveries in basic and translational research;
- Playing a critical role in the recruitment and evaluation of Scientific Directors of VIB Research Centers as well as VIB Principal Investigators;
- Creating a stimulating, collaborative, diverse, and inclusive environment for life sciences research and innovation at VIB;
- Securing strong win-win relations with VIB’s local stakeholders such as universities and governmental bodies;
- Representing VIB on the international scientific stage as well as in network organizations and research committees relevant for the visibility and enforcement of research in Flanders and Europe.
Profile of the new MD
- Internationally respected track record in groundbreaking bio-molecular research;
- Vision and a strong drive to develop cutting-edge strategic basic research with opportunities for technology transfer and societal benefits;
- A creative and dynamic mind with an eye for novel opportunities in science and innovation;
- Management experience in leading a multidisciplinary research center;
- An experienced people manager with excellent mentoring skills as well as being able to take tough decisions when necessary;
- A pragmatic, solution-driven yet diplomatic team-player with a genuine interest in people’s well-being and ability to connect people with different goals and priorities;
- An experienced negotiator and flexible interactor with diverse stakeholders;
- Fluent in written and spoken English and willing to acquire basic knowledge of Dutch.
How to apply? Send your CV with a letter of motivation to Anne.Dentandt@russellreynolds.com and An.Winters@russellreynolds.com not later than May 1st, 2021. For more information, contact the references mentioned above at Russell Reynolds.