Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f/m/d)
Postdoctoral Research Scientist (f/m/d) “Electrochemical mass spectrometry for operando studies of catalytic materials”
Reference No.: CE 2021/4
Work location: Berlin, Germany
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) investigates and develops materials for a sustainable energy supply of the future. For this purpose, we operate the synchrotron facility BESSY II as well as several core labs for investigating materials. BESSY II attracts users from all over the world with its unique experimental facilities. With approx. 1,200 employees, HZB is today one of the largest non- university research centres in Berlin. More information: www.helmholtz-berlin.de
SCIENCE + CAREER + DIVERSITY = HZB
... is the formula for our successful human resources policy. We offer wide-ranging internal and external qualification opportunities for our employees, including special support for junior scientists. Our family- friendly workplace policy includes flexible working hours and telework arrangements. HZB values diversity as driver for successful scientific collaborative work and promotes a supportive working atmosphere for people from all backgrounds.
The Helmholtz research group Nanoscale Operando CO2 Photo-Electrocatalysis (head: Dr. Christopher Kley) investigates local structural, electronic and catalytic properties of materials under reaction conditions to innovate materials for catalysis and energy conversion.
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral researcher position with joint affiliation at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) and the Fritz Haber Institute (FHI) of the Max Planck Society, Department of Interface Science (head: Prof. Beatriz Roldán Cuenya). Work place will be at FHI embedded in a stimulating academic environment with unique access to frontier research facilities.
Project tasks and aims
- Advancing analytics for real-time detection of dissolved gaseous and liquid species. Investigating time-resolved kinetics of electrocatalytic reactions.
- Complementing kinetic studies by nanoscale microscopic and spectroscopic analysis.
- PhD degree in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, or appropriate fields of physical chemistry.
- Proven expertise in mass spectrometry (MS), membrane inlet mass spectrometry (MIMS), differential electrochemical mass spectrometry (DEMS), and / or related analytic methods.
- Additional experience in one or more of the following areas are preferred: electrochemistry, electrocatalysis, membrane assemblies, vacuum systems. Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Self-motivated, detail- and goal-oriented with excellent problem-solving skills in a multidisciplinary team.
- Interested candidates should submit their curriculum vitae listing education, publications and research experience, a statement of motivation and career objective (max. 1 page), copies of transcripts, and contact details of two referees.
What we offer
- Fixed term contract for 12 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
- We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 16.04.2021 (Link: https://recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com/Vacancies/1408/Application/New/2). For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
Contact for further information: Dr. Christopher Kley, +49 30 8062 42928
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1, 14109 Berlin