Viral Genome Curator
Computercraft seeks a highly motivated scientist with research experience in virology, bioinformatics, computational biology, phylodynamics, and/or genomics. The successful candidate will work with a team of virologists and computer scientists to improve viral sequence resources at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM), National Institutes of Health (NIH). Principal responsibilities include the following:
- Contribute scientific expertise and insight to support public health and scientific use cases through the NCBI Virus Resource, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/virus/vssi/#/.
- Identify emerging data requirements and help set goals and priorities for the development of customer centric NCBI Virus resources and data products.
- Improve sequence data quality, classification, and annotation based on bioinformatic analysis, appropriate scientific literature, and through direct communication with scientists.
- Design, implement, and support viral sequence data and metadata standards and associated processes and solutions within the NCBI viral resources.
- Encourage the submission of virus-related sequence data to GenBank through direct interaction with scientific communities and the support of resources and tools that serve important community needs.
- Ph.D. in virology, molecular biology, or related field
- Experience with sequence analysis and bioinformatics software
- Hands-on laboratory experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and organizational skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and collaborate with other scientists
- Genuine interest in maintaining public database resources
- Postdoctoral experience in applied virology and/or genomics helpful but not required
This is a full-time position working on site at NCBI, NIH, in Bethesda, Maryland.
To apply for this position or learn about other Computercraft job opportunities, please visit the Careers section of our website: www.computercraft-usa.com/
Computercraft offers a competitive salary, an excellent benefits package, the opportunity for a positive work–life balance with a standard 40-hour work week, and the chance to work alongside a team of highly accomplished professionals.
Computercraft is an equal opportunity employer.