Director, Congressional Affairs
Director, Congressional Affairs
United States - District of Columbia - Washington
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Reporting to the VP, Federal Government Affairs, the Director, Congressional Affairs will play an integral role in developing and implementing coordinated advocacy strategies, initiatives and engagements with federal policymakers around issues that impact the biopharmaceutical industry. Based in Washington, D.C., the Director of Congressional Affairs will be a member of the Government Affairs + Policy (GA+P) team and will work closely with State Government Affairs, Policy and Therapeutic Area leads (i.e., HIV, Liver, Oncology & Cell Therapy).
The Director will advocate for policies to ensure patients' access to innovative therapies, with a strong emphasis on reimbursement and coverage issues in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. . Additional areas of advocacy may include intellectual property, public health programs, tax and trade. They will be responsible for working with the key federal committees of jurisdiction and member offices engaged on these issues.
They will also work to educate Members of Congress and staff about the challenges facing patients with HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B and C and other liver related diseases, and cancer, as well as advance federal health policies that improve the treatment of these diseases. The position will play an integral role in helping Gilead build relationships with federal legislators.
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Work cross-functionally with legal, commercial, and public affairs colleagues to develop and execute advocacy strategies designed to advance Gilead's legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Engage with key lawmakers and staff to monitor pending legislative activities and advocate for policies that advance Gilead's strategic positions and initiatives.
- Draft advocacy materials that articulate rationales in support of policy positions and prepare oral and written materials for internal audiences that summarize legislative and regulatory activities in Washington and explain their potential impact upon Gilead.
- Partner with trade associations and coalitions representing biopharmaceutical industry, providers and patient advocates to advance policies that protect patients' access to innovative medicines. Participate in committees, work groups and related activities to advocate for Gilead priorities and leverage the work of these groups to support Gilead's advocacy goals.
- Demonstrate strong analytic and research skills, including a familiarity with legislative, regulatory and policy materials, as well as significant experience engaging in the health care policymaking process.
- Direct, supervise and manage contract lobbyists in support of Gilead's advocacy efforts.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- This position requires a self-starter and team-player able to exercise significant discretion and independent strategic discernment.
- Prior experience working as a Congressional staffer, preferably in a Senate Democratic office, on healthcare and related issues.
- Multiple years of experience working as a lobbyist that includes experience with strategy development and execution, or equivalent experience working with the legislative or executive branch.
- Experience working on FDA regulatory issues, Medicare and Medicaid coverage and reimbursement policies, the 340B program and intellectual property laws applicable to drugs and biologics.
- Strong verbal and written communication abilities, including experience with the use of PowerPoint and related tools to make effective presentations.
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with internal and external constituencies and work as part of a cross-functional team advocating on complex health policy issues.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills, with experience running multiple projects and deadlines effectively.
- Corporate experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries.
- BS or BA degree and 8 + years of prior experience in government, government affairs, public affairs or policy role. JD, MA, or MBA and minimum 5 years of relevant experience preferred.
Gilead Core Values:
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---District-of-Columbia---Washington/Director--Congressional-Affairs_R0017936
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency