Postdoctoral Program (VIP2)
Empowering postdoctoral fellows to spearhead the Life Sciences - a path to independence
The Vienna BioCenter (VBC) is one of Europe’s leading life science centres that combines research, biotech companies and education at a single location. Four VBC research institutes share a common vision in supporting fundamental science and training scientists on various skills to the highest level. The Vienna International Postdoctoral Program (VIP2) is a THREE-YEAR fellowship program, which will provide prime research conditions, highly competitive salaries and social benefits as well as a comprehensive scientific education scheme for postdoctoral scientists. ENGLISH is the working language on our highly dynamic campus. Vienna is a vibrant city embedded in beautiful old buildings, an international metropolis in the heart of Europe, which has been rated multiple times as the number one city in the world for quality of life.
VIP2 offers an outstanding research environment, and will boost the careers of fellows by supporting them with a structured training and career development program under the principle “Inform, Inspire, Innovate”:
- Inform via structured mentoring and training programs
- Inspire by providing outstanding supervision within a thriving life science research and biotech center
- Innovate by supporting fellows to make ground-breaking discoveries that enable them to become leaders in the academic sector and beyond
VIP2 will foster exposure to different sectors and facilitate career transitions. The program offers a two-mentor scheme (the second mentor can be from a different sector) and opportunities for a two-month secondment in sectors of the fellows’ choice. Fellows will be advised and supported by an inter-sectoral advisory board.
The research topics of the VIP2 participating groups cover the full scope of modern life sciences. An extensive collection of research models as well as state-of-the-art facilities on campus enable our scientists to push the boundaries of our knowledge and technology. One hallmark of the VBC is its extremely collaborative and collegial atmosphere highlighted by many integrated research projects, shared infrastructure and joint social events.
Call for applicants:
The second VIP2 call for 20+ fellows opens on 1 March and ends on 15 June. We are looking for exceptional, ambitious young scientists with a PhD in biology, chemistry, physics, medicine, engineering, computer science, or bioinformatics.
• A PhD in life sciences or related disciplines
• A scientific project matching the research carried out on campus
• A first-author publication or manuscript published on bioRxiv or arXiv.
• By the time of the call deadline applicants should not have resided in or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in Austria for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the call deadline.
For more information please visit our website: https://training.vbc.ac.at/post-docs/
The VIP2 fellowship program is supported by the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No. 847548.