Sr. Research Scientist/Principal Scientist in Protein Sciences
Position Title: Sr. Research Scientist or Principal Scientist in Protein Sciences
Who We Are:
Calibr is a first-of-its-kind, nonprofit translational research institute dedicated to creating the next generation of medicines. A division of Scripps Research and situated in the heart of San Diego’s Torrey Pines Mesa biomedical research hub, Calibr is uniquely positioned to create and proliferate innovative partnerships. Calibr’s research interests span a broad range of human diseases, including cancer, autoimmunity and inflammatory diseases, metabolic and cardiovascular diseases, infectious and neglected diseases, as well as age-related and degenerative diseases. Calibr was founded on the principle that the creation of new medicines can be accelerated by pairing world-class biomedical research with state-of-the-art drug discovery and development capabilities. Leveraging the unique scientific framework of Scripps Research, Calibr has created a portfolio of drug candidates based on Scripps technologies, and is shaping a new paradigm for advancing nonprofit biomedical research to impact patients while re-investing in further innovative research. Calibr’s lead programs include a T cell recruiting bispecific antibody called CCW702, currently in a Phase I trial for prostate cancer, and a novel “switchable” gene therapy called CAR-T cell therapy (CLBR001 + SWI019), currently in a Phase I trial for patients with relapsed/refractory B cell malignancies. Calibr offers scientists from a wide range of disciplines the opportunity to apply their skillsets to creating transformative medicines – if you have a passion in making a difference, this is the opportunity for you.
Calibr is seeking exceptional Sr. Research Scientist or Principal Scientist candidates to lead the protein expression pipeline. This position will responsible for leading a small team of protein scientists and molecular biologists to produce proteins, plasmids, and viral vectors in support of R&D efforts on the next generation of novel medicines. This protein expression team will work as part of a team of interdisciplinary scientists to translate these findings into first in human clinical trials. Primary focus of the projects will be in immuno-oncology. This position will also have the unique opportunity to support a wide range of other projects at Calibr covering infectious and neglected tropical diseases, metabolic disorders, autoimmunity, and others. Calibr’s open lab space design and collaborative environment encourages the seamless flow of ideas within and between research groups. This position will receive hands on training in translational research and is expected to bring exceptional proficiencies listed below at the start. Wet lab work is within the scope of this position with responsibilities including molecular cloning, protein expression and purification, and biophysical characterization of therapeutic candidates. Development of reports, CoTs, database management, and management of personnel is also within the scope of this role. This position offers significant growth opportunity through promotion structures designed to retain exceptional talent within the Calibr team.
- A strong background in protein expression platforms including HEK, CHO, E. coli, is essential. Experience in yeast and insect is advantageous.
- A strong background in protein purification is essential. The candidate should be proficient at FPLC, HPLC, gravity drip columns, and a wide range of affinity and capture technologies including SEC, IEX, mixed-mode, etc.
- A strong background in molecular biology including DNA isolation and purification, construct design, and assembly-based cloning is essential.
- A strong background in biophysical characterization of proteins is essential. Important competencies include, but are not limited to, RP, IEX, SEC chromatography, biacore & octet, and HR-MS of proteins.
- Experience in upstream and downstream process development is important but not required.
- Experience in medium and high throughput protein expression is highly advantageous for this role.
- Experience in tech transfer of processes to CROs is useful.
- Experience in wave bag expressions and fermentations is helpful.
- Outstanding organization skills and experience in preparing scientific and technical documents including detailed data reports, protocols, CoTs is important.
- Experience using graphing programs such as Prism, Excel, JMP, or Spotfire software is important.
- Experience in retro, lenti, or AAV based viral vectors is important but not essential
- Master’s degree with 7+ years’ experience; PhD with 4+ years’ experience, post degree, in protein chemistry, chemical biology, biochemistry or relevant scientific discipline.
- Industry experience is strongly preferred, but outstanding candidates without industry experience may also be considered.
- Excellent ability to perform hands on experiments, attention to detail, research, design, and organize project designs and maintain detailed documentation.
- Highly motivated, creative, and devoted to project goals.
- Able to collaborate proficiently and communicate effectively with colleagues and management teams.
- Able to contribute in a meaningful way to scientific discourse.
This position works in a laboratory environment. Further details of the physical requirements of established essential functions for this position will be addressed/discussed during the interview process.
Commensurate with experience.
The Scripps Research Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic or status.
Please apply on our company careers page: