Cryo-EM for Materials Science - Senior R&D Staff
Level: Research Professional 4
We are seeking a senior research staff member who will focus on advancing the use of cryogenic electron microscopy (cryo-EM) for multiple materials science, chemistry, an bioscience research efforts at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). This position resides in the Materials MicroÅnalysis Group in the Nanomaterials Characterization Section, Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences (CNMS), Physical Sciences Directorate (PSD) at ORNL.
As part of our research team, you will lead an new effort at ORNL to expand our strengths in electron microscopy by integrating and developing advanced cryo-EM methods for obtaining structural, crystallographic, tomographic, chemical, and morphological data for a broad range of functional, soft/beam-sensitive, organic, and inorganic materials including polymers/nanomaterials, macro-/small-molecules, biomaterials, and biomedical research. ORNL recently invested in a new cryo-EM facility that includes a Thermo Fisher Scientific Krios G4 and high-throughput Talos TEM, as well as a suite of sample preparation equipment (Leica EM ICE high pressure freezer, Leica cryomicrotome, and Vitrobot). The new cryo-EM facility is located within ORNL’s world-leading Advanced Microscopy Laboratory that houses our suite of aberration-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopes.
The experimental programs enabling multiple materials research efforts are being conducted across many research groups and divisions at ORNL. The candidate is expected to build synergies with these programs and integrate cryo-EM into current and future projects; additionally, the candidate will be expected to build new research programs and establish research teams/collaborations that can take advantage of the new cutting-edge capabilities for cryo-EM across a broad spectrum of scientific fields. ORNL also has major theory, modeling, and broad computational efforts available in the Computing and Computational Sciences Directorate that can be coordinated with cryo-EM studies.
- Leading multiple research efforts requiring cryo-EM and integrating these capabilities into existing and future research programs across a broad spectrum of materials and biomaterials science projects with the focused goal of building a cutting-edge cryo-EM facility at ORNL
- Manage and grow the ORNL cryo-EM facilities by exploiting synergistic interactions with synthesis, theory, high-performance computing, and characterization groups/experts across ORNL
- Develop experimental cryo-EM platforms and approaches for obtaining imaging/tomographis/spectroscopic data from both organic and inorganic materials
- Continue to advance sample preparation techniques and efficient data collection methods
- A Ph.D in materials science, chemistry, physics, biological sciences, or a related field with a focus on cryo-TEM/STEM of soft/beam-sensitive materials with a minimum of 6 years of experience
- Experience with multiple microscopy and cryo-TEM/STEM techniques such as low-dose imaging, tomography, 4D-STEM, spectroscopy (EELS), and/or advanced cryo-preparation methods
- Familiarity with polymer, macromolecular materials synthesis and structure expertise
- Some level of Python programming
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Three letters of reference are required and can be uploaded to your profile or emailed directly to PSDrecruit@ornl.gov. Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
Apply for Cryo-EM for Materials Science - Senior R&D Staff
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly