Scientific Officer Chemistry/Food and Packaging Technology/Dietary exposure
Location: Parma, Italy
Deadline for applications: 10th March 2021
Are you a motivated and enthusiastic scientist with experience in the field of chemistry (analytical, organic, polymer or food chemistry), dietary exposure (food composition database, food label information) or technology (food processing technology, food packaging technology or recycling technology)? Are you passionate and motivated to ensure the safety of food in Europe?
We are looking for highly motivated scientists with experience in scientific assessments or research activities related to food ingredients or materials in contact with food, who will contribute to EFSA’s scientific and technical outputs through the collection, analysis and evaluation of data and information.
If you are looking for an interesting and challenging opportunity in a leading organisation, then do not hesitate and send us your application today!
Your key responsibilities
- The successful candidate will work under the responsibility of the Team Leader/Head of Unit and will contribute to the following tasks:
- Collect, collate, analyse and evaluate data and information for preparing scientific outputs related to the assessment of food ingredients or food contact materials;
- Contribute to drafting and reviewing scientific conclusions, opinions and outputs through the provision of evidence-based risk assessment, ensuring the information is provided in a consistent and accurate way;
- Communicate and present scientific outputs by conveying the right messages and by making scientific concepts understandable to the public;
- Contribute to the different projects of the unit, including following different application/dossiers (e.g. monitor the timeline, preparation of working documents, meeting agendas and minutes, liaising with experts) and ensuring on-time delivery of the required outputs;
- Provide administrative and scientific support to the activities of EFSA’s Scientific Panels and their Working Groups in the relevant area (i.e. preparation of working documents, scientific opinions, meeting agendas and minutes, etc.);
- Keep abreast of scientific and regulatory developments and contribute to providing information on legislative, policy and scientific aspects, in particular in the area of food ingredients or food contact materials.
EFSA employs around 500 staff members, and its Scientific Committee and Panels engage highly qualified and independent scientific experts. Every position within EFSA plays an important part in creating an inspirational environment in which to work and develop.
As an EFSA staff member, you will have the chance to make a difference to European food safety working in an international and dynamic environment. You will also be able to participate in several valuable networking opportunities across Europe.
Furthermore, you will be joining EFSA at an exciting time as we are preparing for the implementation of the Transparency Regulation: EFSA will expand its mandate and grow considerably over the next few years.
To find out more about EFSA, visit us at www.efsa.europa.eu.
WHAT CAN WE OFFER YOU?
Life in Parma
Parma is a lively city of around 200.000 inhabitants located in the Italian region of Emilia-Romagna and ranked as one of the most liveable cities in Italy. Parma is famous for its food and is strategically located between major cities like Milano and Bologna and within reachable distance from ski resorts, seaside and mountains.
Salary and benefits
EFSA can offer the selected candidate a contract of 5 years with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be recruited as Contract Agent Function Group IV with the basic salary starting from €3.556 monthly, subject to an annual review of remuneration provided for in Article 65(1) of the Staff Regulations.
In addition to the basic salary, EFSA offers a range of benefits (welfare package, household and expatriation allowances,...). Further information can be found in the full job description, on EFSA's career page.
The purpose of this call is to establish a talent pool (reserve list) that may be used for the recruitment of staff when a position becomes available and will be valid until 31/12/2022.
WHAT ARE THE SELECTION REQUIREMENTS?
You must satisfy the following requirements on the closing date for submission of your application:
I. Eligibility criteria
1. General requirements
- Be national of a Member State of the European Union, Iceland or Norway;
- Enjoy full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by laws concerning military service;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post;
- Have a thorough knowledge of one of the EU official languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved.
A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three (3) years attested by a diploma in one of the following areas: chemistry, food chemistry, pharmacy, food technology, food sciences, engineering or related areas.
In case you do not fulfil all the eligibility criteria, your application will not be taken into consideration.
II. Selection criteria
The following competencies will be assessed throughout the different phases of the selection procedure. Candidates are also expected to demonstrate effective communication in both spoken and written English as well as strong motivation for the position.
1. Technical competencies
i. Professional experience in the area of chemistry (analytical, organic, polymer or food chemistry), dietary exposure (food composition database, food label information) or technology (food processing technology, food packaging technology or recycling technology);
ii. Generate, collect and collate evidence: ability to collect evidence (data and information) from various sources, using relevant methodologies. Understand and interpret reports in order to compile evidence (data and information);
iii. Analyse and interpret data with statistics: ability to prepare data sets for statistical analysis, understand and interpret the results;
iv. Perform scientific assessments, in particular related to food ingredients and food contact materials: experience with methodologies used for the appraisal, extraction and analysis of evidence. Integrate and weigh the evidence to draw conclusions with their related assumptions and uncertainties;
v. Write scientific documents: ability to draft clear, concise and structured scientific reports, opinions and guidance documents using the appropriate scientific terminology;
vi. Communicate scientific outputs: ability to convey technical scientific concepts and make them understandable to the target audience;
vii. Experiencing in managing scientific projects, ensuring on time delivery of project outputs.
2. Behavioural competencies
i. Work with others: Work confidently within a group and contribute to achieve the common goals, understanding own role and how it supports the team and the organisation; able to cooperate, listen actively, manage conflicts and motivate colleagues;
ii. Plan and measure for results: Set ambitious goals that exceed the targets and create plans to achieve them; ensure an efficient and responsible planning and management of resources;
iii. Focus on stakeholder needs: Committed to meet the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders and gain their trust and respect;
iv. Deal with ambiguity: Able to work constructively within unexpected and unpredictable situations and show resilience and composure, even in difficult or adverse circumstances; able to decide and act without having the total picture; accept constructive feedback in a positive manner;
v. Demonstrate political savvy and strategic agility: Look beyond the current situation and visualise what the future can bring with a keen sense for arising opportunities and good understanding of how and when to best pursue them; able to think in a creative and innovative way.
Apply now via the "Apply" button.
Candidates are invited to read the ANNEX that represents an integral part of this vacancy.
 : see official job description on EFSA career website