Senior Employment Counsel, International
Senior Employment Counsel, International
United Kingdom - Uxbridge
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Employment Counsel at Gilead are responsible for providing legal advice and guidance on a wide range of employment matters in a fast-paced environment, including day-to-day management of employment litigation, internal investigations and employee disputes, as well as work closely with Human Resources, Employee Resources, country counsel, and other functions to assist with employment issues that arise from the Company's operations.
This position will be the fourth attorney of Gilead's Employment Law Group, which is part of the Litigation & Investigations (L&I) team in Gilead's Legal Department. This role is located in Gilead's Stockley Park office in Uxbridge, UK and will report to the Associate General Counsel, Head of Employment Law located in the U.S.
This position should enjoy working collaboratively and closely with colleagues; align with L&I's culture of respect, support, high standards, and affability; and demonstrate Gilead's Core Values of Integrity, Inclusion, Teamwork, Excellence, and Accountability.
Serve as the lead lawyer for the employment law function outside of the U.S., with a focus on Gilead's ACE Region (Australia, Canada, & Europe) as well as support for Gilead's Intercontinental Region (Asia5, Mexico & LatAm, Middle East, Russia) and Asia Region
Provide advice and counsel on a broad range of employment issues, including recruitment, hiring, high risk disciplinary actions and terminations, re-organizations, complex leaves of absence and accommodations issues, compensation, contingent workers, HR policies and practices, and performance management, among others
Partner and coordinate on matters as needed with country counsel, HR Business Partners, Employee Relations, and local external counsel
Provide employment law advice related to Works Council matters in France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, and Austria
Manager or support on employment-related litigation and internal investigations, engaging external counsel as needed
Support on corporate initiatives with global impact, such as M&A, commercial, and compliance matters
Manage and support HR compliance, employee escalations, and employee disputes
In coordination with HR and Employee Relations, assist with the creation of policies, standards and business procedures designed to foster compliance with various employment laws and regulations
Enhance and develop organizational knowledge of employment law matters
Build and maintain strong relationships with senior leaders, other members of the legal team such as country counsel, the Human Resources and Employee Relations team, and other internal clients to support employment law compliance and manage employment law risk.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Qualified lawyer with UK market experience and significant experience practicing employment law at a reputable law firm and/or in-house in the UK
- The position will require substantive expertise in UK/European employment law and regulations combined with excellent project management skills and sound judgment in delivering legal opinions, managing matters, and interacting with internal business clients and stakeholders
- Must have experience and expertise in advising on and coordinating advice on matters across multiple jurisdictions, including across European region
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a variety of different personalities
- High influencing and persuasion skills; ability to drive alignment with cross-functional stakeholders and negotiate with opposing counsel
- Demonstrated client service orientation; able to recognize and respond quickly and pragmatically to urgent situations
- Exceptional and demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to competently carry-out and follow through on directives, learn quickly, apply legal analysis in a business context, and work independently to identify issues and goals
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment is critical. The position requires appropriate triaging of a heavy workflow, setting appropriate priorities with clients, and delivering results within the reasonable agreed timelines
- Ability to manage or coordinate the work of others, including external counsel and working groups or project teams
- Ability to communicate legal opinions and risk assessments in a practical, business oriented manner to senior leaders, members of the legal and HR teams, and other internal clients to help reach alignment and solutions
- The candidate must demonstrate ability to learn, think creatively, and devise solutions to challenging problems and must exercise mature and reliable judgment
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual's gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-Kingdom---Uxbridge/Senior-Employment-Counsel--International_R0017355-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency