Senior Director, Public Affairs, UK and Ireland
Senior Director, Public Affairs, UK and Ireland
United Kingdom - London
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercialises innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS and emerging viruses, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation.
Reporting to the head of Public Affairs for Australia, Canada and Europe (ACE), this role is responsible for the conception and delivery of strategic branded and unbranded communication programmes, community engagement, corporate giving, plus corporate and employee communication intended to protect and enhance Gilead's corporate reputation while helping us to become the biotech employer and partner of choice.
This role is a member of the UK and Ireland (UK&I) cross-functional leadership team and works closely with Public Affairs colleagues globally and within ACE.
Job duties include:
- Responsible for the development and execution of Gilead's UK&I communications strategy, in alignment with global direction and local leadership, in support of the product portfolio and business objectives, anticipating short-medium and long-term needs. Strategic components include: media relations, digital, reputation management, leadership communications, issues and crisis management, brand/therapeutic area communications, corporate communications and employee engagement
- Design and implement strategic programmes and narratives that proactively communicate Gilead's perspective and shape corporate reputation
- Develop/strengthen relationships with a wide variety of community advocates, organizations and professionals and champion patient engagement in appropriate cross-functional projects
- Anticipate, research and report on trends and changes in the life sciences/access environment
- Enhance Gilead's profile among industry associations, media and other influential organizations in UK&I
- Coordination with cross-functional colleagues to ensure alignment and collaboration in strategic priorities and messaging across different stakeholders
- Maintain strong relationships with business press, consumer media, key industry opinion leaders and external stakeholders
- Respond to media requests and coordination of interviews with Gilead spokespeople and opinion leader spokespeople as appropriate
- Issues mitigation and management
- Responsible for Gilead's corporate giving initiatives in UK&I
- Drive internal communications and employee engagement by proactively driving ideas and programmes that support culture evolution
- Managing the performance and ongoing development of a small, high-performing team
- Effectively manage all aspects of public relations agency relationships, including direction and project management
- Manage budgets to target
- Understanding of the regulatory frameworks in the region and ability to compliantly manage internal approvals and interactions with the review team.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Proven experience in product PR, media and advocacy
- Must have experience with public relations tactics and resources and the relationship of those tactics to other department roles and functions
- Ability to understand and accurately communicate complex science
- Demonstrated experience in media relations (traditional and social), issues management; knowledge of healthcare and industry media and reporting trends
- Experience managing multiple projects (timelines, budgets, priorities) simultaneously; flexibility and results-oriented focus are essential
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to interact with senior management and high-profile experts appropriately, with confidence and ease
- Ability to give formal presentations to internal and external audiences of various sizes
- Proven ability to manage and develop people
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulations and principles specific to communications for a publicly-traded biopharmaceutical company
- Excellent understanding of the UK&I political/health policy and access environment, including processes and key stakeholders, is a must
- Previous experience in product launches (regulatory and reimbursement) in the UK&I
- Typically requires a BA degree in communications, liberal arts, business or science-oriented field (or International Equivalent) proven relevant experience, which includes solid healthcare public relations experience
- Ability to engage and manage multiple stakeholders to achieve objectives
- Curious with a strong learning agility (the ability to rapidly study, analyses and understand new situations and business problems)
- Operationally excellent and resilient in the context of a rapidly changing environment
- Organised with systematic approach to prioritisation
- Process orientated to achieve the business objective
Gilead Core Values
- Integrity (always doing the right thing),
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith),
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility).
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
It is the policy of Gilead Sciences, Inc. and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively "Gilead" or the "Company") to recruit select and employ the most qualified persons available for positions throughout the Company. Except if otherwise provided by applicable law, all employment actions relating to issues such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, returns from layoffs, company-sponsored training, education assistance, social and recreational programs are administered on a non-discriminatory basis (i.e. without regard to protected characteristics or prohibited grounds, which may include an individual's gender, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, creed, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, medical condition, veteran status, and age, unless such protection is prohibited by federal, state, municipal, provincial, local or other applicable laws). Gilead also prohibits discrimination based on any other characteristics protected by applicable laws.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-Kingdom---London/Senior-Director--Public-Affairs--UK-and-Ireland_R0017305
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency