PhD student - Integrated Femtosecond Lasers
DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The Ultrafast Optics and X-rays Group (https://ufox.cfel.de/) has as its mission the design, fabrication and test of cutting-edge ultrafast optical technologies that may serve advanced accelerators and light sources. In the EU-funded FET-OPEN Project FEMTOCHIP coordinated by DESY, we develop the world's first ultralow noise, high power, integrated femtosecond lasers that may serve many applications within and outside of DESY. We are looking for a PhD student.
- Participate in the design and test of integrated low noise, high power femtosecond lasers
- Perform simulations of the linear and nonlinear femtosecond laser dynamics
- Design the linear and nonlinear optical circuit components for the integrated lasers
- Layout GDS for individual components and fully integrated lasers on a chip to be fabricated in a standard CMOS foundry to enable rigorous test and measurements of individual components as well as full systems to maximize success
- Develop and build up setups to test integrated optical devices and systems
- Master's degree (in exceptional cases also a Bachelor's degree) in physics or electrical engineering or equivalent qualification
- Strong interest in photonics and especially integrated optics design and testing
- Strong interest and eventually first experience in ultrafast and nonlinear optics
- Strong desire to learn photonic design software like Lumerical or Comsol
- Ability to work in a team
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly motivated individual with strong interest to work on disruptive technologies
- Good problem-solving skills
- Basic experience and knowledge with fiber optic components and systems is an advantage
- Programming experience with either Python, Matlab, or C++ is an advantage
For further information please contact Prof. Franz Kärtner at +49 40 8998-6350
The position is initially limited to 3 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Persons with disabilities will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
We are looking forward to your application via our application system: www.desy.de/onlineapplication
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department | Code: FSDO003/2021
Notkestraße 85 | 22607 Hamburg Germany
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 2021/02/28