Postdoc Position: Areas Of Genomics, Computational Biology & Data Science
The Lal research groups focusses on translational genetic research and bioinformatics. Research interests involve developing a comprehensive understanding of how alterations in the genome contribute to disease.
The lab pursues questions such as, “Why did the patient develop this disease?” “Will the patient respond to this medication?” “Can we predict the disease prognosis?” “What is the underlying mechanism?” The team is young, however, has published ~90 publications in the last six years, several in prestigious journals such as PNAS, Nature Genetics, Lancet Neurology, Annals of Neurology, Bioinformatics, Genome Medicine, Nuclei Acid Research, and Brain. A full list of recent studies can be found in pubmed using ‘Dennis Lal’ as search term.
The candidates, will be integrated within the Genomic Medicine Institute of the Cleveland Clinic to perform translational genetics research. The position will be at the Lerner Research Institute of the Cleveland Clinic. The team will closely collaborate with other data scientists, neuroscientists as well as epileptologists and clinical researchers from related. Besides local collaborations, the team will interact on a daily to weekly basis with the Lal research groups at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard as well as the Cologne Center for Genomics in Germany. Specifically, we have three open postdoc positions:
- Postdoc position in genomics: Whole genome or whole exome burden analysis, polygenic risk scoring, GWAS, somatic variant analyses using genetic data from our own and globally collected epilepsy patient cohorts in collaboration with international consortia and population biobanks.
- Postdoc position in structural biology: Developing novel methods for missense variant interpretation using genetic and molecular data in conjunction with in 3D protein structures to perform homology modeling and molecular dynamics analysis at scale.
- Postdoc position in data science: Developing of user friendly web applications that aggregate or host genetic, clinical, biological data and use datascience approaches to identify novel insights and develop prediction models.
A successful applicant does not need to be an expert in all listed fields but the job will be tailored according to the successful applicant’s qualifications and interests. Requirements vary based on the project the candidate is interested in.
- Ph.D. degree in Bioinformatics, Biology, Computer Science, or other relevant scientific discipline or equivalent experience is required.
- Good programming skills in one of the following coding languages: Python, R, Java, or C++
- Self-starter, highly motivated
- Position specific requirements:
- Postdoc genomics:
- Familiarity with next-generation sequence data analysis tools
- Experience with and solid understanding of statistical analysis
- Experience in working in HPC and/or cloud based environment.
- Postdoc in structural biology:
- Experience with protein structure modeling and in silico design (MOE, Schrodinger, Rosetta, Discovery Studio).
- Postdoc in data science:
- Postdoc genomics:
- At least one published first author or shared first author publication (biorxiv or pubmed).
- Experience in presenting posters or talks at scientific meetings.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The chance to have a real impact on the advancement of science and medicine.
- Great mentoring.
- A good working environment in a fun team.
Interested applicants should submit a CV, cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to Dr. Dennis Lal via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.