The Nanda Lab at University of Alabama at Birmingham is seeking a highly motivated Life Science Research Professional 3 to determine the role of smooth muscle cell specific genes in the context of cardiovascular disease. Interested candidates with expertise in molecular and cellular biology and rodent surgical techniques are encouraged to apply. The successful candidate will be responsible to independently design, perform and analyze experiments as directed by the Supervisor and manage day to day activities of the lab.
- Design research approaches (implementing cell culture, biochemical assays and mouse models) in support of the lab goals.
- Independently perform and analyze experiments.
- Maintain detailed records.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research.
- Develop new protocols; test and evaluate a variety of approaches.
- Maintain animal colony and general laboratory maintenance.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulation and all required training.
- Supervise and train new staff or students as needed.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Master's degree in a related field OR Bachelor s degree in related field and two (2) years of related experience OR Associate's degree in related field and four (4) years of related experience required. Applicant's with a PhD will also be considered. Work experience may NOT substitute for education requirement.
Preferred skills and experience:
- Demonstrated knowledge of moderate to complex of scientific principles gained through education and experience
- Proficient in cell culture, biochemical assays (qPCR, Western blotting, pathway analyses, ChIP and Co-IP assays) and handling of mice
- General computer skills, experience with MS office, Adobe Illustrator and GraphPad
- Good communication skills
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgement
- Ability to multitask, work under tight deadlines with general guidance is essential
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to complete detailed work accurately
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering a diverse, equitable and family-friendly environment in which all faculty and staff can excel and achieve work-life balance irrespective of, race, national origin, age, genetic or family medical history, gender, faith, gender identity and expression as well as sexual orientation. UAB also encourages applications from veterans and individuals with disabilities