Editorial Ethics Manager-PNAS
On behalf of the National Academy of Sciences and its official journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), KWF Consulting is in search of an Editorial Ethics Manager to work as part of the PNAS editorial staff in Washington, DC. This is a newly created position with responsibility for maintaining the scientific integrity of the journal.
As a member of the senior publications team, the Editorial Ethics Manager will serve as the journal ombudsman and work with its stakeholders to resolve ethics-related questions, complaints or allegations. The Editorial Ethics Manager must possess a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion within the sciences.
Specific duties include:
- Receive and evaluate instances of potential scientific misconduct as relates to manuscripts submitted to and/or published in PNAS
- Review and resolve prepublication image issues
- Receive and investigate reports of undisclosed conflicts of interest, image manipulation, or other ethical violations, including those related to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Screen flagged revisions for plagiarism if iThenticate score is 30% or more
- Confer with scientific experts to rectify disagreements about data interpretation or access
- Manage ethics-related corrections and retractions as necessary
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
We are seeking one with 5 years related experience in scholarly publishing with a strong background in scientific peer-review procedures. Additional abilities and skills include:
- Ability to solve intellectual problems of appreciable variety and complexity, using latitude for independent judgment and action
- Excellent communication skills with proven ability to interact effectively with employees at all levels
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and the ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, English, Journalism, Communications or related field, or equivalent knowledge.
For immediate consideration please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) is the National Academy of Science's official peer-reviewed journal of original scientific research. Since its establishment in 1914, PNAS has become one of the world's most-cited and comprehensive multidisciplinary scientific journals, publishing more than 3,300 research papers annually. Coverage in PNAS spans the biological, physical, and social sciences.