Engineer / Research Associate (m/f/div) in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biophysics
The Max Planck Institute for Brain Research (MPI for Brain Research) in Frankfurt/Main is a vibrant research institution in the field of basic biological and medical research, with a focus on understanding the functions of the brain’s circuits. Our institute has approximately 300 employees in three research departments and five research groups, as well as several service units.
Together with the MPI of Biophysics we operate a joint mass spectrometry lab to develop MS-based methods for projects at both institutes. For this lab, we are looking for an
Engineer / Research Associate (m/f/div)
in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biophysics
The position is on an initial fixed-term contract for two years, with the possibility for extension to a permanent contract.
- Development of MS-based methods for scientific projects and acquisition, evaluation and analysis of data (shotgun proteomics [DDA, DIA], PTM / phosphoproteomics, low-input proteomics, top-down analyses, metabolomics, HDX-MS, MS imaging).
- Support and maintenance of LC-MS instruments, routine performance monitoring (calibration, QC measurements), instrument trouble shooting and cleaning
- Training of lab members (PhD students and staff)
- Routine service measurements (e.g. gel band analyses, protein identification)
- Completed university education as Engineer or Master / Diploma in Chemistry, Biochemistry or Biophysics or equivalent qualification with work experience
- Comprehensive, hands-on experience using mass spectrometers and nano-H / UPLC systems is mandatory; experience using Thermo, Bruker and Waters instruments is advantageous
- Knowledge of MS software (Thermo, Bruker, Waters), database search and evaluation software (MaxQuant, Perseus, Proteome Discoverer) and associated bioinformatics tools (R, Python, Pymol) is advantageous
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English for evaluation and presentation of scientific data and for exchange with our international colleagues
- Open-minded and motivated personality with a focus on teamplay
- Ability to work accurately and independently as well as excellent communication skills
- Working on interesting and diverse projects in an international lab and research environment: https://brain.mpg.de/services/scientific-services/proteomics.html https://www.biophys.mpg.de/2126817/proteomics
- A friendly working atmosphere with outstanding, state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Position with payment according to German TVöD (Collective Wage Agreement for Government Service Workers – Federal Government) with all benefits of the public service
- A corporate pension plan
- Extensive scientific and personal training programs as well as scientific exchange on workshops and conferences
- Family service (in-house baby and kids room, on-campus child day care center)
- Corporate health management (e.g. sports courses)
- Cafeteria and Bistro in the institute
- Free parking on institute's premises
The Max-Planck Society is committed to increasing the number of individuals with disabilities in its workforce and therefore encourages applications from such qualified individuals.
Furthermore, the Max-Planck Society seeks to increase the number of women in those fields where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply.
The compatibility of work and family is very important to us; we offer the possibility of childcare in the kindergarten Kairos close to our institute. Further information can be found on our homepage: www.brain.mpg.de.
Please send your full application, including a letter of motivation explaining how your qualifications and experience make you a good candidate for this job, together with a full CV, reference letters (if available) and related certificates electronically as a single PDF file by 12th March 2021 to our Recruiting Platform.