Position Summary: The Coatings Scientist will be responsible for monitoring (laboratory testing) and controlling various chemical or coating processes in order to provide high quality and efficient production of finished products.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Aid in developing in-house testing capabilities.
- Testing of in-process powder production samples.
- Evaluate and test experimental polymers to provide results and recommendations.
- Participate/lead root cause analysis as production issues arise.
- Participate/lead continuous improvement projects as assigned.
- Utilize and strictly adhere to standardized test methods.
- Utilize, develop, and/or modify documents within the ISO 9001 system.
- Track and analyze data utilizing statistical methods and recommend areas of improvement.
- Lead the 6S effort in the immediate work area; ensure good housekeeping skills to maintain a safe work environment.
- Perform internal calibrations of lab test equipment.
- Develop sampling plans.
- Develop new process work instructions, which requires independent thinking and judgment.
- Works as an active member of cross-functional project teams with manufacturing, project management, quality, and sales.
- Liaise with coatings suppliers on various topics such as product development, quality control, process review, etc.
- 10% travel as needed.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Specifications:
- Understanding of the fundamentals of coatings technologies.
- Understanding of the fundamentals of industrial adhesives and sealant technologies.
- Has knowledge of resins, crosslinkers, additives, and pigments.
- Solid problem-solving skills.
- Ability to contribute and work in a team environment.
- Ability to demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to establish and maintain healthy working relationships with people in course of work.
- Willingness to work additional hours in order to meet tight deadlines.
Education and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or related discipline.
- 3-5 years of applicable work experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in powder coatings.
- Knowledge of Statistical analysis tools and software programs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continually required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, and crouch. The employee is occasionally required to crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 45 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.