Associate Director, Road Transportation
About our Transportation Program
The ClimateWorks Transportation Program (www.climateworks.org/programs/transportation/) advances a sustainable, affordable, and low-carbon mobility system for people and goods movement. We broaden support for the transition to cleaner and more efficient and zero-emission vehicle and fuel technologies, and for increasing efficient transportation choices, including transit, walking, biking, and shared mobility. We work with NGOs, academia, business, policymakers, consumers, and other stakeholders to advance sound policy, innovation, and investment. The Road Transport portfolio includes the Drive Electric Campaign which aims to achieve 100% zero-emission road transport for all modes at the speed and scale needed to address the climate challenge.
The ClimateWorks Foundation Associate Director, Road Transportation will co-lead (with the Senior Director) the Road Transport initiative, the Drive Electric campaign, and support the overall ClimateWorks Transportation Program. This position reports to the Senior Director, Transportation and will serve on a team that includes additional staff and outside contractors.
The Associate Director will support ClimateWorks Transportation Program by: developing and providing input on and leading strategies; facilitating and managing collaboration between internal and external partners, grantmaking due diligence, oversight, and reporting; contributing to development and fund-raising efforts for the program; and helping build and grow internal capacity to deliver on the portfolio’s goals.
This is a highly interdisciplinary, cross-functional and cross-regional role that interfaces directly with funders, program staff, grantees, and CW staff leadership. The Associate Director must posess the expertise and skills to operate and thrive in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Includes the following and other duties as assigned:
Program Development and Grantmaking
- Program management and support a variety of projects contributing to strategy, budgeting, planning, reporting, and grants in the relevant program areas.
- Lead work on new and ongoing projects and strategies with a variety of teams within ClimateWorks and the ClimateWorks network.
- Provide ongoing assistance and support to the Transportation Director on overall program activities.
- Participate in broader CWF activities including contributions to other divisions, all-staff, and cross-functional activities.
Content development and communications
- Produce high-quality written and analytic materials on short deadlines as needed
- Function as a point of contact and representative of the portfolio
- Conduct fundraising for key road transport initiatives as needed.
- Build effective relationships with global partners virtually and in person. Travel frequently internationally for meetings and to represent the program to partners
- Oversee the management and supervision of support staff and related consultants
The successful applicant will have the following minimum qualifications:
- At least 6 years’ experience in a program support and management role with at least 3+ years of experience in a relevant field such as climate and clean transportation policy, automotive sector, environmental advocacy, electric vehicle research/analysis, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field (e.g. engineering, policy, law, social sciences)
- Experience working in service to broad range of clients and stakeholders. Solutions-focused, extremely collaborative personality.
- Powerful writing, editing and communications skills.
- Experience leading projects and programs, including independent decision-making, particularly in analytical and customer-facing roles. Experience managing staff a plus.
- Extremely high attention to detail and strong organizational skills, including strong project management skills.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently (both virtually and in-person) with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated ability working on global teams, including the ability to successfully work cross-functionally for the betterment of the organziation.
- Passion for environmental and social issues
While not required, applicants with the following qualifications are welcome:
- Direct experience with clean vehicle policy design and implementation a plus
- Advanced degree (MS, PhD) in engineering, policy, law, or other relevant field
- Experience working in nonprofits or foundations a plus
- Demonstrated experience writing for general and diverse audiences
- Proficiency with project mgmt. tools including, e.g., Smartsheets, Asana, MS Project, etc.
ClimateWorks Foundation is committed to building a team that reflects the global community our mission serves. Candidates from underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Location
ClimateWorks offers an excellent benefits package and a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience (geographic differential applied based on location). This position will be located in San Francisco, CA. but excellent candidates who would prefer to work from other locations will be considered (with expectations of semi-regular travel, including to Northern California).
ClimateWorks Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse candidate pool. The Foundation recognizes diversity as an asset essential to accomplishing its work and views diversity as encompassing differences in race and gender, as well as age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, job skills, education, and geographic location. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
To be considered for this position, interested candidates must follow the link below to submit a resume and cover letter. This position will remain open until filled.