Associate Scientist, Biomarker Assay Technology
Associate Scientist, Biomarker Assay Technology
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join the Biomarker Assay Technology Team within the Biomarker Sciences Department to take the lead in biomarker assay development, qualification, and transfer to support clinical programs across all therapeutic areas at Gilead.
Specific Responsibilities and skills for Position
The successful candidate will be able to work independently to gather input from internal colleagues and translate the information into assay requirements, to design experimental plans to address specific scientific questions, to resolve biomarker assay development/qualification issues and project needs, and to execute the assay development independently. The candidate is expected to select the most appropriate technique and methodology to execute complex experiments at the highest quality standards and in a timely manner. The candidate will analyze and review experimental data critically, benchmark data with a third-party source if available, and propose next steps. The candidate is expected to be able to present his/her experimental data in group and department meetings. The candidate will also draft assay procedures, qualification reports, and coordinate, when needed, with vendor laboratories on assay transfer and troubleshooting.
The ideal individual will have hands on experience with flow cytometry-based assays, the IncuCyte system, immunoassays including ELISA-based methods (e.g. including but not limited MSD and Luminex), and gene transcript based molecular assays (rtPCR, NanoString, RNA sequencing, etc.). Experience with multi-color flow cytometry (e.g., whole blood immunophenotyping, and intracellular cytokine and phopsho-flow) and IncuCyte-based assay development, execution and data analysis are highly preferred. In addition, the candidate will participate in new assay platform evaluation.
- Independently plans and executes assigned experiments that support non-routine research activities to achieve project goals.
- Applies advanced level of technical and biologic understanding to project goals and methods.
- Selects appropriate methods and techniques when performing experiments.
- Analyze and Interprets data; design new experiments to advance scientific knowledge of drug substances or techniques to identify such substances.
- Recommends alternatives, researches new methods and techniques and may proactively seek out senior personnel to discuss potential solutions to problems.
- May lead functional group meetings. Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work.
- Works independently and determines methods and techniques on new or difficult assignments.
- Works on complex problems where analysis of situations or data requires comprehensive evaluation of many factors.
- Acts as a resource for other employees within the department.
- Maintains high level of expertise through familiarity with scientific literature and applies appropriately to research projects.
- Uses strong communication skills (both verbal and technical) and interpersonal skills to communicate objectives and results.
- Must think critically and creatively and be able to work independently, determine appropriate resources for resolution of problems and have strong organizational and planning skills.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- 9+ years of experience with BS degree or 8+ years of experience with MS degree in a related scientific discipline.
- Excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills are required; must be able to communicate effectively internally in Biomarker Sciences and with other Gilead functional groups in Research and Development.
- Must be able to multi-task through work on a number of diverse projects at the same time.
- Experience in biomarker assay development, fit-for-purpose qualification/validation, and analysis of clinical samples is highly desired.
- Strong laboratory experience in preclinical biomarker discovery/validation and/or implementing biomarker assays in a clinical trial setting are highly desired.
- Experience implementing a broad array of platforms and technologies to support a clinical research program is preferred.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Associate-Scientist--Biomarker-Assay-Technology_R0016439
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency