Postdoctoral Fellow – Ellerby lab
The Ellerby lab at the Buck Institute for Research on Aging is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow to model neurodegenerative diseases- Huntington’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease or Parkinson’s disease - using iPSCs. The successful candidate will have some experience in stem cell biology, neurodegenerative diseases and CRISPR/Cas9. S/he will have a demonstrated aptitude to be a leading author on peer-reviewed publications, provide innovative solutions to research problems, and have the ability to apply for fellowship/scholarship awards.
The Ellerby lab focuses on understanding the fundamental mechanisms that lead to age-related neurodegenerative diseases and identifying new therapeutic targets for these diseases. We are excited to use new technologies to interrogate why these neurological diseases are so abundant as we age and identify small molecule or protein therapeutics for these diseases. Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) derived from patient cells, genomics, proteomics, small molecule screens, single cell analysis, and CRISPR/Cas9 are all technologies applied to deepen our understanding of these diseases and aging.
- Participate in innovative research aimed at understanding the role of cellular senescence in Alzheimer’s disease.
- Focus on single cell genomics, in combination with induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs).
- Collaborate with biologists at the Buck Institute for developing standardized protocols and experimental design.
- Perform data analysis, annotation, and report preparation using commercial data integration, pathway analysis and visualization software.
- Attend and participate in institutional programs, seminars and lectures.
- PhD in Neuroscience, Biology, Chemistry, or other related fields
- Excellent cell culture skills
- iPSC background a plus
- Experience in stem cell biology, neurodegenerative diseases and CRISPR/Cas9
- Demonstrated ability to be a leading author on peer-reviewed publications
- Works well in an interdisciplinary team of scientists
- Self-motivated and collaborative
ABOUT THE BUCK INSTITUTE
Our success will ultimately change healthcare. At the Buck, we aim to end the threat of age-related diseases for this and future generations by bringing together the most capable and passionate scientists from a broad range of disciplines to identify and impede the ways in which we age. We are an independent, nonprofit institution located in Marin County, CA, with the goal of increasing human healthspan, or the healthy years of life. Globally recognized as the pioneer and leader in efforts to target aging—the number one risk factor for diseases including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cancer, macular degeneration, heart disease, and diabetes—the Buck seeks to help people live better longer. Learn more at: https://buckinstitute.org.
LIVING BETTER LONGER TOGETHER
Buck Institute for Research on Aging is an equal opportunity employer. Buck Institute seeks candidates whose experience and qualifications will enable them to contribute to our dedication to diversity and excellence. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. We welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
- Exciting, dynamic work environment at the forefront of science using state-of-the-art techniques
- Competitive (academic/non-profit research institute/North Bay) salary commensurate with experience
- Generous benefits package including health insurance, paid parental leave, generous PTO and 401(k) with 5% employer match and profit sharing
- Collaborative environment – both for science and social activities
Apply online by uploading a CV plus a PDF document that includes a summary of research interests and the names and phone numbers of three references.
For more information please contact:
Lisa Ellerby, Ph.D., Professor - email@example.com