Vice Chair for Research
Vice Chair for Research - Duke Anesthesiology
The Department of Anesthesiology within the School of Medicine at Duke University Medical Center is seeking candidates for the position of Vice Chair for Research. The Vice Chair will be responsible for developing an interdisciplinary strategy for the Department and will lead efforts to grow, promote, and support research and scholarship. The current portfolio includes active translational programs in pain medicine, cognitive decline after surgery, transfusion medicine, organ preservation and resuscitation, perioperative genomics, maternal health, population health, hyperbaric medicine, and injury epidemiology.
- MD/PhD or PhD degree
- Excellent communication skills
- Strategic leadership experience, including a track record of identifying novel investigative opportunities and developing multidisciplinary research vision
- Research proposal experience, including writing, submission, management and execution of NIH funded projects as a Principal Investigator
- Familiarity with U.S. grant funding systems
- Evidence of commitment to equal opportunity and diversity/multicultural issues
- A successful candidate will also demonstrate the ability or show strong potential to:
- Operate strategically: Approaches departmental activities with a big picture, long-term view; works collaboratively with faculty and stakeholders to set vision and direction; aligns resources with priorities.
- Provide academic leadership: Displays academic credibility and sound intellectual leadership; exhibits understanding of the particular leadership needs of the department; interfaces with internal and external stakeholders to act on issues important to the department.
- Engage faculty and staff: Sustain, retain, and develop high performance individuals and teams.
- Understand organizational behavior: Appreciates the context of issues and dilemmas; is attuned to external and institutional politics; skillfully navigates University cultures.
- Drive results: Creates a culture of innovation, high quality and service.
- Collaborate: Effectively builds consensus by valuing diversity and inclusion, influencing others, and solving problems.
- Establish accountability: Sets high standards for self and team; fosters a strong culture of accountability.
Interested applicants should submit their CV and cover letter to:
Joseph P. Mathew, MD, MHSc, MBA
Jerry Reves Professor of Anesthesiology and Chairman
c/o Melinda Macalino
Special Assistant to Dr. Joseph P. Mathew
Department of Anesthesiology (https://anesthesiology.duke.edu)
Duke University Medical Center
DUMC, Box 3094 Mail #41
2301 Erwin Road, 5692 HAFS Bldg.
Durham, NC 27710
P: (919) 681-6646