Professor in materials chemistry, with a focus on synthesis of inorganic materials
Lund University, LTH,
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
LTH forms the Faculty of Engineering at Lund University, with approximately 9 000 students. The research carried out at LTH is of a high international standard and we are continuously developing our teaching methods and adapting our courses to current needs.
Lund University is currently expanding and strengthening our material science research to develop one of Europe’s future leading materials science centres. Our profile covers a broad range of materials science research, including strong links to our new world-class infrastructures, the Max IV synchrotron and European Spallation Source (ESS). In this context, the Department of Chemistry at Lund University, Faculty of Engineering invites applications for a position as Professor in materials chemistry, with a focus on synthesis of inorganic materials. The successful candidate will bring to our department a new, long-term and independent research direction within this subject area.
We are looking for a candidate with a strong international research profile focused primarily on synthesis of inorganic materials, who will join us in expanding our materials research into new areas. The research may be focused on a broad range of possible types of inorganic materials, and may include suitable materials characterisation where appropriate, as well as the synthesis of hybrid materials.
The Department of Chemistry currently offers a range of facilities for materials synthesis that would be available to the candidate, including facilities for wet and dry synthesis including Schlenk lines, glove boxes, high-temperature ovens and arc furnaces. Clean room facilities are also accessible at the Lund Nanolab, which is part of the MyFab organisation in Sweden. A range of characterization equipment is additionally available, including modern x-ray diffractometers (powder and single crystal), mass spectrometers, liquid and solid state NMR spectrometers and other standard characterisation equipment. We also host the national centre for high-resolution electron microscopy with a FEG-SEM and three TEMs, including a unique Environmental high-resolution TEM built for gas exposure in-situ of samples at high temperatures.
Materials chemistry, with a focus on synthesis of inorganic materials
Specific subject description
Research in materials chemistry with a focus on the synthesis of inorganic materials can best be described as the development of new methods for synthesizing functional materials and studying the relationship between structure and properties. Examples of materials are bulk materials, thin film materials, nanomaterials, porous materials, composites, metal alloys, and ceramic materials. Interesting or potentially useful properties can e.g. be photochemical, magnetic, optical, electrical structural or catalytic properties. Important areas of use are in sustainable energy production and energy storage, electronics, the environment and health.
The research area that the call is about is materials chemistry with a focus on the synthesis of inorganic materials. Greater emphasis should be on synthesis than on characterization of materials. In addition, greater emphasis should be on inorganic materials than on organic materials. Composite materials where an important part is inorganic constituents may be considered as important as pure inorganic materials.
- Research within the subject area.
- Teaching in the first, second and third cycles of studies.
- Supervision of degree projects and doctoral students.
- Actively seeking external research funding.
- Collaboration with industry and wider society.
- Administration related to the work duties listed above.
Appointment as a professor requires that the applicant has:
- Demonstrated scientific skills.
- Demonstrated pedagogical skills.
- Higher education pedagogical training corresponding to at least five weeks, or corresponding knowledge that has been acquired in another way, unless there are special reasons.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Documented ability of both applying for, and receiving, external research funding.
- Documented experience of developing and leading research projects.
When assessing the applicants, special importance will be given to research and teaching expertise within the subject, with a stronger emphasis on research excellence.
For appointments to professor, the following shall form the assessment criteria:
- A very good national and international standing as a researcher. The requirement for international experience shall be assessed with consideration to the character and traditions of the subject.
- A very high level of teaching skill, including a very good ability to conduct, develop and lead teaching and other educational activities on different levels and using a variety of teaching methods.
- A good ability to supervise doctoral students to achieve a PhD.
- A good ability to collaborate with wider society and communicate his or her activities.
- A good general ability to lead and develop activities.
Consideration will also be given to good collaborative skills, drive and independence, and how the applicant’s experience and skills complement and strengthen ongoing research, first and second cycle education and innovation within the department, and how they stand to contribute to its future development.
Instructions on how to apply
Applications shall be written in English. Please draw up the application in accordance with LTH’s Academic qualifications portfolio. Upload the application as PDF-files in the recruitment system.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
To apply, please click the button "Login and apply"
Type of employment Permanent position Contract type Full time First day of employment As soon as possible Salary Monthly Number of positions 1 Working hours 100 % City Lund County Skåne län Country Sweden Reference number PA2020/238 Contact
- Charlotta Turner, +46 462228125
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds universitet, +46 46-222 93 64, email@example.com
- OFR/ST:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, +46 46-222 93 62, firstname.lastname@example.org