Physical Sciences Director at MAX IV
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and more than 8 000 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
MAX IV is a Swedish national large-scale research laboratory hosted by Lund University. It provides scientists from Sweden as well as internationally, with state-of-the-art instrumentation for research in areas such as engineering, physics, structural biology, chemistry and nanotechnology. Fully developed it will receive more than 2 000 scientists annually, conducting ground-breaking experiments in materials and life sciences using the brilliant X-ray light.
The MAX IV Science Division is primarily responsible for planning and carrying out the scientific program at MAX IV, including building, commissioning and operating beamlines and other state-of-the-art instrumentation, supporting the MAX IV user community in their use, and conducting in-house research. The MAX IV Science Division, consisting of about 140 people at present, is led by two science directors, one specializing in the physical and one in the life sciences. The science directors report directly to the MAX IV Director.
We are seeking a highly motivated, dynamic individual to lead the physical sciences program at MAX IV. This is a permanent position as researcher at Lund University with a renewable 5-year assignment as MAX IV Physical Sciences Director.
• Develop the long-range scientific strategy for MAX IV in concert with the MAX IV Director and leadership team
• Contribute to strategic decision processes as a senior member of the MAX IV leadership team
• Manage 7-8 groups responsible for carrying out physical sciences aspects of the scientific mission if MAX IV, specifically, its beamline user and in-house research programs
• Strengthen existing and establish new collaborations with Swedish and other universities, laboratories, and industries.
• Develop leadership and career growth opportunities among the science division staff
• Internationally recognized scientist with a strong network in one or more fields of physical science and synchrotron radiation research at the international level
• At last 10 years leadership experience managing teams of scientists in a laboratory environment
• PhD degree in natural science, engineering or a related area with own experience of synchrotron-based research
• Experience as a principal investigator in major science funding applications
• Experience building and operating state of-the-art synchrotron instrumentation
• Fluency in English, oral and written
• Leadership experience at the senior management level at a synchrotron radiation user facility
• Scientific network in Sweden and experience with Swedish and/or EU funding applications
• Talent and interest in communicating scientific research to both experts and the public
• Fluency in a Scandinavian language, oral and written
Interviews are scheduled for:
1 Feb 2021
3 Feb 2021
8 Feb 2021
10 Feb 2021
The interviews will be conducted on site in Lund if possible or digitally if necessary. Please state your availability in your application. In your application we appreciate receiving your CV, names of three potential references, and a vision statement for the physical sciences at MAX IV through 2025.
On call services may apply in the future.
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We kindly decline all sales and marketing contacts.
Type of employment Permanent position Contract type Full time First day of employment As per agreement Salary Monthly salary Number of positions 1 Working hours 100 % City Lund County Skåne län Country Sweden Reference number PA2020/3737 Contact
- MAX IV Director, email@example.com
- OFR/S:Fackförbundet ST:s kansli, +46 46-222 93 62, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SACO:Saco-s-rådet vid Lunds , +46 46-222 93 64, email@example.com
- SEKO: Seko Civil, +46 46-222 93 66