STEM Program Manager
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) is the leading voice promoting equity for women and girls in education and the workplace. It has more than 170,000 members and supporters, 1,000 local branches, and over 800 college and university partners across the United States.
Summary Description: The STEM Program Director is responsible for the effective design, implementation, and management of AAUW’s STEM initiatives. In this new role for AAUW, the Director will design and develop research and programs on current STEM issues where AAUW has funding, particularly in encouraging girls of color to declare STEM majors in college, as well as lead organizational efforts on new STEM efforts, pending new funding. The ideal candidate should demonstrate a commitment to addressing issues of diversity, equity and inclusion in success in and access to STEM education.
Program Development and Implementation
- Design and develop AAUW’s STEM initiatives in alignment with AAUW’s strategic goals in economic security, education and training, and leadership while in keeping with restrictions on current and future funding sources. The first few years of the position will focus on encouraging girls of color to declare STEM majors in college, particularly in the physical sciences and engineering.
- Propose and oversee qualitative and quantitative research projects focused on STEM topics and issues.
- Collaborate with colleagues to align STEM fellowships, public policy, research, and programs to create a comprehensive STEM portfolio.
- Manage the development and implementation of evaluation tools for STEM programs.
- Develop and grow relationships with other organizations and stakeholders focused on STEM and represent AAUW at professional events to build collaborative and strategic relationships.
- Execute and lead grant-driven program deliverables.
- Recruit and manage short-term consultants as necessary.
Program Operations and Management
- Coordinate with Advancement staff on proposal and concept development for potential partners and funders.
- Coordinate with Communications staff to develop and ensure accuracy of AAUW’s digital and print resources on STEM.
- Create and monitor program budgets; report on program fiscal status and adhere to budget parameters.
- Manage the work of the STEM Coordinator.
- Manage the work of the Research Associate, jointly managed by the Director of Public Policy and Legal Advocacy.
- Provide oversight and direction for AAUW’s Tech Trek program in collaboration with affiliate camp leaders.
- Minimum BA/BS; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 10 years relevant experience.
- Education or training in a STEM discipline with broad understanding across all areas of STEM education.
- Substantive knowledge of the current landscape of formal and/or informal STEM education.
- Demonstrated success managing, scaling, developing and evaluating program models, and operationalizing programs resulting in measurable success and program growth.
- Experience initiating and piloting new program ideas.
- Demonstrated budget and project management skills in running complex, multifaceted projects and grants.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, collaborate and establish effective cross-functional relationships organizationally.
- Experience developing a high-performance, collaborative and results-driven team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to inclusion and equity.
- Clear understanding and commitment to AAUW mission, goals, and objectives.
Compensation & Location:
The salary range for this position is $110,000 - $130,000 contingent on relevant experience.
During COVID, this position can be worked remotely with DC, MD, or VA as the tax withholding state of record. However, when AAUW’s office re-opens, the position incumbent will be required to work at AAUW headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Apply: Submit a résumé with cover letter detailing your interest and qualifications by email, indicating position title (STEM Program Director) to firstname.lastname@example.org.