Sr Research Scientist I, Bioinformatics
Sr Research Scientist I, Bioinformatics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
At Gilead, we strive to transform the promise of science and technology into therapies that have the power to cure, prevent or treat disease. As a research-based biopharmaceutical company, we are revolutionizing healthcare by bringing medicines to patients in the areas of HIV, AIDS, liver diseases, hematology and oncology, and inflammation and respiratory diseases.
We are growing a diverse team of professionals and an atmosphere of inclusion across departments. We need your unique talents, expertise and background to help millions of people around the world live healthier. Join a close community where every voice is heard - where you can see and measure the results of your contributions.
Our values - integrity, inclusion, teamwork, accountability and excellence - are evident in everything we do.
Sr Research Scientist II - Bioinformatics
We are seeking a highly talented and motivated senior-level scientist to take a lead role in data science and scientific computing to support research projects on target discovery and validation, MoA and biomarker discovery. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment and impact high-level decision making on internal pipeline. He/She will be responsible for employing state of the art computing and analytic solutions, developing rigorous statistical modeling and bioinformatics methods, and integrating large scale multi-modal datasets to derive quantitative biological insights to support Research programs. The successful candidate will have the ability to formulate scientific questions into coherent analytical efforts and communicate analysis results and scientific findings to project teams and across different research functions.
- Develop and implement quality assessment, statistical analysis and data visualization for multi-omics datasets (e.g., microarray, RNA-Seq, single cell sequencing, WES, WGS, Chip-Seq, NanoString, multiplex qPCR, TCR-Seq, etc)
- Develop and apply statistical and computational tools for analysis of large omics and high dimensional data from publicly available, commercial, and real world datasets to enable target identification/assessment, drug combinations, understanding of MOA, disease subtypes, patient stratification, etc.
- Design and apply bioinformatics algorithms, unsupervised and supervised methods, univariate and multivariate regression analyses, machine learning and deep learning methods
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and communicate findings to non-computational scientists and senior leaders.
- Provide expertise and technical consultation for external collaborations/partnerships in academia and industry
- Manage and mentor direct reports and maintain a collaborative team culture
- Proactively identify new opportunities and solutions in data generation and acquisition, analytic platforms and visualization tools, coordinating with cross-functional teams, such as sequencing core, IT and data science teams.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Extensive expertise in multi-omics data analysis in human diseases in biopharmaceutical setting
- Hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and integrating large-scale biological datasets required, such as genomics, transcriptomics, epigenetics, GWAS, proteomics and/or high throughput screening, etc.
- Expertise in developing algorithms and applications for predictive modeling, pattern recognition, machine learning, data mining and/or visualization of large scale multi-dimensional datasets (e.g. single-cell sequencing, RNA-seq, DNA-seq, Chip-seq, microarrays, etc)
- Strong knowledge of statistics and machine learning algorithms required, such as probability theory, statistical power, univariate and/or multi-variate analysis, unsupervised and supervised analysis, regression analysis and deep learning, etc.
- In-depth understanding of genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques required, e.g. next generation sequencing technologies, single cell technologies, and their applications
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with research scientists and cross-functional teams, and to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced working environment.
- Demonstrated the ability to synthesize scientific questions into a coherent research effort and communicate scientific findings across different functional teams
- A proactive and self-motivated individual with a strong work ethic, ability to work in a dynamic environment and able to manage multiple objectives in parallel and adapt to changing priorities
- A PhD in bioinformatics, computer science, computational biology, genomics, or a related field with 7 years of relevant work experience
- Prior working experience in a biopharmaceutical setting is preferred
- Proficient in statistical and scripting programming language, such as R, Python, etc. is required
- Hands on experience with high performance parallel computing environments and cloud computing systems, data management systems, advanced statistical software, and visualization tools required
- Extensive experience with multi-omics data and large-scale biological datasets required
- Experience with advanced knowledge of a broad range of statistical machine learning and predictive modeling techniques
- Strong scientific background and In-depth understanding of genomic and proteomic technologies and high-throughput experimental techniques required
- Excellent oral/written communication skills and ability to present to senior management and KOLs. Excellent negotiation and interpersonal skills in complex situations. Managements skills that foster teamwork
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Sr-Research-Scientist-I--Bioinformatics_R0015980-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency