Director, Operational Analytics
Director, Operational Analytics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
Reporting directly to the SVP of Data Sciences and Biometrics, this Data Sciences leader will oversee the build-out and management of an industry-leading data sciences team within the Clinical Development organization. She/he will partner closely with the Clinical Operations and Clinical Sciences teams to develop and apply data science approaches to advance the field of clinical trial recruitment and operations. Through this unique interdisciplinary partnership, this individual will have a direct impact on patients' lives by decreasing the time that patients have to wait to gain access to Gilead's medicines and by improving the representativeness of our clinical trials.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of building industry-leading data sciences teams, applying machine learning and deep learning approaches to solve complex business problems, and productively collaborating with non-technical colleagues.
- Strategic Thinking: Aligns with Clinical Development and Data Sciences senior leadership to understand the strategic business goals and priorities and identify, define and deliver advanced data science solutions in alignment with those higher-level goals
- People Development: Identifies and recruits an industry-leading team of data scientists. Coaches data scientists early in their career, identifies and mentors high performers and creates a culture of inclusion and collaboration
- Innovation: Keeps up to date on cutting edge data sciences and mobile device approaches by actively participating in technical meetings and maintaining relationships with external innovators to constantly bring the best solutions to Gilead
- Delivery Excellence: Establishes clear objectives and milestones for the data sciences team and individual team members, focusing on advancing the teams' impact on Clinical Development.
- Influence and Partnership: Creates external relationships with academic and industry experts in order to stay abreast of emerging technologies and data science applications in healthcare;
- Decision-making: Maintains a culture of rigorous data-driven decision making that rewards truth-seeking behavior; Encourages team members to exercise good judgement and embrace decision making
- Communication: Creates excitement and passion for the role of data sciences to inform decisions across the development organization
Capabilities and Requirements:
- Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following
- Deliver analytics that inform the operational execution of a trial:
- Speed, efficiency, cost analysis and modeling
- Operational performance relative to industry (competitive intelligence, benchmarking)
- Predictive identification of risks and mitigation recommendations
- Improves representativeness of trial participants
- Continuous evaluation and evolution of solutions to evolve them leveraging advanced methodologies and technologies
- Building and day-to-day management of a small team of Data Scientists and ability to assess and hire new talent
- Assessing the resource and budget needs of the group based on the roadmap and presenting that to the Operational Informatics lead
- Provides career management, issue resolution and coaching to the team, including focused attention on upskilling the team's technical and analytical skills
- Continuously identify new relevant data sources (internal and external)
- Partnering with other analytics functions across Data Sciences & Biometrics to align on areas of collaboration, co-development solutions, assess their models and tailor them to the needs and phase of trials
- Communicate with senior leaders on data science goals and objectives and presents to higher level leadership
- PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science or closely related degree
- 12+ years of experience delivering business technology and/or analytics solutions
- 5+ years of experience working in the technology, biotechnology, or pharmaceutical industry
- 5+ years of experience managing people
- Ability to set the work direction of a team based on the overarching goals of the group
- Ability to evaluate and deliver the right fit analytics solutions to solve complex questions
- Understanding of clinical development and trial operational drivers
- Demonstrated machine learning/deep learning methodologies and coding skills such as: python, PyTorch, Tensorflow, numpy, scipy, familiarity with cloud computing and database technologies (SQL, NoSQL, Graph)
- Demonstrated skills in lifecycle management for data science and predictive analytics projects, ability to build high quality, robust, transparent and trustable predictive solutions
- Demonstrated experience developing, selecting and applying machine learning modeling approaches such as classification, regression, and time-series data analysis preferably using machine learning techniques including Deep Learning (CNN, RNN, LSTM), random forest, boosting, artificial neural networks, graphical models, etc.
- Ability to hire, lead and grow experienced data analysts and data scientists and guide their work
- Experience identifying and assessing relevant data for use: Clinical Trial Data, Real World Data, public and marketplace data
- Strong focus on customer support and relationship management
- Demonstrates excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to summarize complex information concisely and present to higher level leadership
- Excellent networking and influencing skills, effective working/leading in global and cross-functional (matrix) environment
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Director--Operational-Analytics_R0015895-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency