Bioinformatician Position Available at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center Genomics Core
BIOINFORMATICIAN POSITION AVAILABLE AT THE JOHNS HOPKINS ONCOLOGY CENTER GENOMICS CORE.
The Experimental and Computational Genomics Core (ECGC) at the Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, (SKCCC) is a Core facility providing cutting-edge and innovative genomics services to the Hopkins scientific community. We are a dynamic group looking for an enthusiastic and talented person to lead all aspects of computational/bioinformatics pipeline development and management, including for single cell genomics, epigenomics, microbiome, and other genomics experiments.
The ECGC offers array based and next generation sequencing capabilities as part of the Cancer Center’s deep commitment to providing integrated services for data generation, computing resources, analysis and genomics educational activities. Our mission is to advance scientific research and discovery as rapidly and efficiently as possible using the newest genomic technologies and software with the ultimate goal of positively impacting patient care.
To further the mission of the ECGC, we are seeking an experienced programmer and bioinformaticist for a Research Associate position. The successful applicant will spearhead the effort to expand the ECGC’s computing resources through the development and implementation of a comprehensive bioinformatics software system for diverse genomic datasets. Additionally, the successful applicant will work closely with the ECGC Resource Director to facilitate interactions between the Faculty Directors, ECGC staff, and research bioinformatics faculty at all levels of project planning, analysis, and pipeline development. The successful candidate will also closely supervise bioinformatics analysts to design and execute the analytical plans for ECGC projects.
The ECGC is committed to using free and open source software programs and bioinformatics tools and to maintaining the highest standards of reproducible research. The successful candidate should have broad experience with these tools as well as a creative capacity to develop novel tools and benchmark new workflows.
There will be opportunities to participate in the following activities:
- Developing novel bioinformatics analysis pipelines
- Designing and analysis of diverse genomic projects
- Training ECGC staff and scientists in the selection and use of bioinformatics tools
- Masters level or PhD degree in an area of computational or life sciences with at least five years bioinformatics, programming, and computing cluster experience.
- Knowledge of next generation sequencing pipelines and experience manipulating, analyzing, and annotating very large biological sequence data sets, both in exploratory and pipelined fashions.
- Experience with software development using Python and/or R and a willingness to learn additional programming languages as needed.
- Experience developing and running pipelines on high performance computing clusters.
- Established commitment to industry standards of reproducible data analysis.
- Highly capable of being involved collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team, including laboratory scientists, epidemiologists, bioinformaticians, statisticians, and data analysts.
- Self-motivated, be involved independently or in a team environment, and be able to multi-task.
- Outstanding communication skills including public speaking, poster presentation, and in depth scientific discussion with PI’s and vendors
- Experience in the development of novel methods for analysis of high throughput molecular data.
- Experience implementing bioinformatics pipelines in a cloud computing environment
- Knowledge of bioinformatics package development, including Bioconductor and/or Bioconda standards.
A complete application should include
- Current CV
- Three letters of recommendation
- Examples of bioinformatics software development/implementation
- Cover Letter
Send application materials to Ms. Lauren Ciotti. email@example.com
Apply for Bioinformatician Position Available at the Johns Hopkins Oncology Center Genomics Core
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly