Title: Scientific Manager, Vaccine Response Evaluation
Location: Neutralizing Antibody Center, Scripps Research, La Jolla, CA
Reports to: Principal Scientist, Antibody Discovery and Vaccine Responses
IAVI’s Neutralizing Antibody Center (IAVI-NAC) based at Scripps Research is seeking motivated candidates with extensive molecular biology experience to serve as scientific manager of the vaccine antibody response platform of the IAVI-NAC Antibody Discovery and Vaccine Response Evaluation laboratory. This position will co-lead efforts to sort and sequence memory B cells as well as evaluate serum responses from pre-clinical immunization experiments in various animal models, which will help inform vaccine designs for clinical trials. The Scientific Manger will be based at the California campus of Scripps Research in La Jolla, CA, which offers access to broad range of research conducted on site, interaction with renowned scientists, seminar series, society of fellows and exposure to a scientific environment with state of the art equipment.
- Coordinate with senior scientists and technical team to ensure execution and delivery of the scientific agenda as part of several HIV vaccine research programs.
- Implement and integrate new technologies and platforms, including scRNAseq and other related high-throughput technologies.
- Design, scheduling, execution, quality control, troubleshooting, data analysis and reporting of experiments.
- Project and data management of experiments utilizing the vaccine antibody response platform.
- Develop and implement new assays to improve existing throughput.
- Mentor junior staff.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the manager.
Education and Experience:
- MS or PhD in immunology or a related discipline is required.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in molecular biology is required, including experience in performing RT and PCR reactions in multi-well plates, RNA extraction and NGS library prep, molecular cloning, etc.
- Background in antibody discovery, immunology, and/or flow cytometry is highly desirable.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, quickly changing environment is required.
- Ability to prioritize and organize a daily workload is required.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as a team member is required.
- Advanced data management and analytical skills is required.
- Ability to troubleshoot and address technical hurdles is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills is required.
- Strong work ethic and interpersonal skills is required.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues is required.
- Experience in flow cytometry and operating flow cytometers (i.e. BD Aria, Fusion, or Melody) is desirable.
- Experience in antibody discovery and/or immunology is desirable.
- Experience with robotics/liquid handlers is desirable.
- Working knowledge in HIV vaccine design or immunology is desirable.
- Experience managing a sub-team is desirable.
Apply for Scientific Manager
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly