Scientist, Antibody Discovery
Location: Neutralizing Antibody Center, Scripps Research, La Jolla, CA
Reports to: Senior Director, Antibody Discovery and Development
We are seeking qualified candidates to lead an antibody discovery program for multi-drug resistance bacteria, specifically focused on Shigella and Salmonella. The position will work in collaboration with global partners in the US, UK, East Africa, and India to discover and develop promising monoclonal antibodies to addressing the growing global health challenge of multi-drug resistant bacteria, which is anticipated to have pandemic potential. The position will utilize cutting edge technology for antibody discovery, characterization, structural studies, and passive transfer and therapy studies in relevant animal models. This position will be based at the California campus of Scripps Research in La Jolla, CA, which offers access to broad range of research conducted on site, interaction with renowned scientists, seminar series, society of fellows and exposure to a scientific environment with state of the art equipment.
- Coordinate with a global multi-site collaboration network for discovery of bactericidal antibodies.
- Design and implement high-throughput antibody bactericidal assays.
- Conduct production and purification of relevant antigens from enteric bacteria.
- Lead antibody discovery efforts from convalescent donor samples.
- Design and implement relevant animal models for evaluation of monoclonal antibodies.
- Draft manuscripts for research publications and presentations to be presented externally, including at international conferences.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the manager.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in molecular biology/biochemistry/immunology/microbiology or a related discipline is required.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in immunology or microbiology is required.
- Experience in vaccine or therapeutics discovery and development for multi-drug resistant bacteria is highly desirable
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience with bacterial, yeast, and mammalian cell culture and aseptic techniques is required.
- Experience with different animal models, including breeding, immunizations, and culling of mice is highly desirable
- Experience with single cell sorting, 10x genomics, and other related antibody isolation platforms is desirable
- Experience in antibody assay development, including neutralization and effector function assays (ADCC, CDC, ADCP, etc.) is preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills is required.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced quickly changing environment is required.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues is required.
- Experience with robotics is desirable.
- Experience managing a sub-team is desirable.