The laboratory of Dr. David Watkins is looking for a talented laboratory associate who is interested in working in the development and efficacy testing of vaccines, diagnostic tests, and therapeutic drugs against viral diseases. The Watkins’ lab has been focused on understanding the immune response to viruses and regularly works with HIV/SIV, Dengue, Zika, Yellow Fever, Coronaviruses, and other viruses. This Laboratory Associate assists with the compliance of university safety standards and practices along with OSHA, CFR, and other federal, state, and local requirements. This position documents emergency responses if necessary and ensures compliance with nationally accepted standards for cleanroom operations and cleanroom best practices. This role provides user support on equipment and technical details when necessary. This role may supervise students and trainees who come to the lab to develop skills in research. The position will compile results, perform data analysis, and prepare technical reports and documentation of outcomes.
- Maintains the lab and laboratory equipment.
- Performs mammalian cells maintenance in vitro.
- Processes animal blood into different components for use in immunological experiments.
- Aids other scientists within the laboratory with their day to day experiments
- Conducts inventory and orders supplies.
- Assists in the preparation of manuscripts and grants
- Performs other duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a BA/BS in a related discipline, plus 2 years of relevant professional experience or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.
- Ability to follow a set procedure and to work both as a team and independently
- Highly enthusiastic to learn new techniques
Apply to: http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/79184
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.