International selection process for the ELI Beamlines Facility
Scientific Director (f/m)
The ELI Beamlines Facility is a leading laser research centre and part of ELI (Extreme Light Infrastructure) pan-European Research Infrastructure hosting the world’s most intense lasers. ELI provides unique tools of support for scientific excellence in Europe. ELI Beamlines developed and operates four leading edge high-power femtosecond laser systems reaching unprecedent intensities. ELI Beamlines offers to its users unique femtosecond sources of X-rays and accelerated particles. These beamlines enable pioneering research not only in physics and material science, but also in life science, laboratory astrophysics, chemistry with strong application potential.
Currently, several of the main laser beamlines are operational and are being expanded and upgraded to reach their full performance and maximum availability. Other laser beamlines are in commissioning and new cutting-edge laser sources are in the design and development phase. The ELI Beamlines Facility builds on 320 researchers, engineers and other professionals from more than 25 countries.
The Extreme Light Infrastructure Beamline Facility (ELI BL) is seeking a Scientific Director whose responsibilities will include leadership of the scientific program and oversight of the user program at this world-leading laboratory for science and technology. The ELI Beamlines Scientific Director (“ELI BL SD”) reports to the ELI Beamlines Facility Director and holds the primary scientific position in the Facility. The ELI BL SD shall execute this responsibility by activities which include the following:
- promotion of the scientific opportunities of ELI Beamlines to the research community and promotion of the access opportunities to the ELI Beamlines Facility in collaboration with the scientific directors of the ELI facilities and future ELI European Research Infrastructure Consortium
- take the primary leadership in defining concept of the Facility operation
- coordination of the scientific activities of research teams
- interfacing with the International Scientific Advisory Committee to establish the scientific and user program of the ELI Beamlines Facility
- coordination of the definition of quality standards for the access to the ELI Beamlines Facility and coordination of their implementation
- conduct technical reviews to assure the user requirements technical performance
- participation in the definition of HR management instruments for the scientific teams of the Facility (description of standard positions and prospective HR needs, definition of training programmes for the ELI scientific teams and for users, etc.)
- interfacing with European universities to support the ELI mission as a training center for a next generation of scientists and engineers
The ELI BL SD Reports to the ELI Beamlines Facility Director and serves as Deputy Head of ELI Beamlines Division within the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences.
The ELI BL SD will carry out her/his activities in close coordination with the scientific directors of the other ELI Facilities and future ELI European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) and will be supported by the International Scientific Advisory Committee consisting of renowned experts in the field.
What do we expect?
- PhD in physical sciences preferable
- extensive knowledge and undisputed international recognition in ELI’s science and technology and scientific applications relevant to ELI Beamlines
- successful leadership experience in research and user facilities of international importance
- experience with definition of user programs, user access and user community building
- ability to manage and develop large diverse international groups of highly skilled people in science and engineering
- ability to inspire and engage the staff
- excellent organizational, communication and negotiation skills
- excellent proficiency in English
What do we offer?
- full-time position at ELI Beamlines Facility in the Czech Republic
- the opportunity to shape strategy of world class laser facility
- the opportunity to cooperate with world leaders in laser and related technology and science
- the opportunity to pursue an academic career at one of the Czech universities
- pleasant and modern working environment of international organization
- support in academic carrier and professional growth
- competitive and motivating salary with relocation package
- initial duration of the contract is five years with possible extension
Applications, containing CV, cover letter, contacts of references, and any other material the candidate considers relevant, should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. For informal enquiries about any aspect of the position, please contact Roman Hvezda (email@example.com, +420 266 051 258).
Recruitment is extended until 30.11.2020 due to the current pandemic situation.
All applications will be assessed by a Search Committee consisting of both international experts as well as representatives of the key stakeholders.
Top selected suitable candidates will be invited for interviews that will take place in the Czech Republic.
Information regarding the personal data processing and access to the personal data at the Institute of Physics of the Czech Academy of Sciences can be found on: https://www.fzu.cz/en/processing-of-personal-data
Apply for Scientific Director
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly