VP, Chief Procurement Officer
VP, Chief Procurement Officer
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
The Vice President and Head of Corporate Procurement is a leadership position that has been created within Gilead's CFO organization | Corporate Operations unit to provide senior leadership to critical sourcing, purchasing, supplier management functions that are responsible for ensuring that all our external supplier spend, and engagements are being executed and transacted at the highest levels of efficiency, quality and integrity.
Gilead has recently adopted a Center Led procurement model targeted for multi-year operating model transformation. This model contemplates a strong central organization that provides consistent standards for application enterprise-wide, while allowing flexibility within local business-led procurement teams to operationalize the standards to their business need. This model allows for Gilead to achieve its ambitious procurement goals of high savings against its external spend through greater business engagement and alignment as well as consistent corporate standards that drive efficiency in line with our company aspiration to be a partner of choice.
This position is responsible for leading the Corporate team that will ensure the center-led model is effectively implemented, managed and executed. It will report into the Senior Vice President of Corporate Operations, will sit on the Corporate Operations leadership team, and will manage an organization consisting leaders that each manage a significant portfolio/category of spend. This position will also manage the Procurement center of excellence, the supplier relationship management and Contingent Workforce Program teams, that will be responsible for instituting new processes, procedures, systems and analytics that ensure the Procurement organization continues to achieve and maintain world class return on investment as it relates to savings per procurement FTE.
Besides managing a sizeable internal group, this position will also lead a large group of contractors and service providers that ensure optimal day to day sourcing and procurement operations at various Gilead facilities. This position will have significant budget responsibility and be responsible for development of business cases, business plans, and operational metrics associated with multi-year procurement goals.
While there is a significant operational component to this role, given the importance, scale and impact, this position is also a key strategic thought leader within the company who will be expected to influence internal and external stakeholders as Procurement innovation continues to evolve at Gilead. As such, it is anticipated this position will sit on several senior level steering committees for initiatives that aim to drive a new culture of excellence within the corporate and business-led groups.
- The VP of Corporate Procurement is responsible for developing leading the center-led procurement strategy and handling the day-to-day functioning of Gilead's Corporate Procurement function, including sourcing, purchasing and supplier management. The role is accountable for the leadership and optimization of the function, implementing best in class end to end vendor selection and management processes. This position's primary remit will be responsible for driving to the lowest overall operating cost through the efficient and strategic procurement of goods and services required by Gilead, while reducing risk across the value chain through effective supplier management.
- Continue to develop a global Corporate Procurement organization that has the structure, process, technology, talent, practices and metrics needed to deliver the plan and build for the future. Create and continually nurture a culture of excellence within the group, by bringing in and developing top talent to ensure goals can be met and embodying Gilead's core values and leadership behaviors. Develop standards, processes, methodologies and stakeholder relationships to allow the group to be viewed as a center of excellence in Foster City and serve as a leader on all aspects of Procurement.
- The team under the responsibility of this position will support the effective management of $4.0 billion in vendor directed, addressable spend, through the support of vendor category management, source to pay functions and supplier management for 2000+ vendors. Establish corporate standards and increase leverage of company-wide supplier spend. Develop best practices that are broadly published and adopted that communicate Gilead's position on preferred suppliers per spend category, central procurement tools, competitive bidding guidelines etc.
- Define an end-to-end Supplier Management strategy that delivers on established financial targets, while ensuring best-in-class supplier delivery and performance metrics. This will involve developing and executing a supplier management roadmap that builds the capabilities needed for long-term growth and sustainability including launch of a comprehensive preferred vendor program and advancement of Gilead's supplier diversity program. Establish Gilead as a customer of choice for top tier suppliers, and create a Supplier Excellence program, procedures, and platform.
- Ensure stakeholder alignment and coordination for the center-led model via clearly articulated governance processes including definition of roles and responsibilities, decision rights and communication and coordination mechanisms.
- Lead Corporate Procurement to serve as central point of contact within the organization for all Corporate Procurement policies, procedures, practices and systems that ensure appropriate synergy between all procurement teams globally within Gilead
- Establish balanced scorecard metrics (cost, quality, service, etc.) that drive accountability for Total Cost of Ownership and Total Operating Costs for all major categories of spend. Exceed a world class rate of return on procurement resources
- Review opportunities between various decentralized business procurement arms to synergize and consolidates buys and deliver a better rate of return on external spend, by leveraging Gilead's combined buying power.
- Embed a systems-based approach to delivering services; increasing internal efficiency through adoption of technology (eSourcing for Procurement supported competitive bids) and operating models (eg. Buy desk)
- Champion the philosophy of Responsible Sourcing in support of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) goals. Establish central repository containing risk status and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) reduction plans from our preferred suppliers and drive sustainable performance towards corporate sustainability goals through supplier selection and management
- Improve the purchasing experience through business engagement, optimizing policy compliance and deployment of more advanced tools (e.g. mobile) that enhance the group's value proposition.
Knowledge, Skills, & Experience:
- B.S. or B.A. degree in, Business Management, Supply Chain, Risk Management, Operations or related field. MBA in an appropriately related field preferred
- 20+ years of experience in sourcing, procurement or supply chain management
- Exceptional leadership skills that are demonstrated by achieving desired results through others, while building effective internal customer relationships
- Proven strategic and critical thinking skills as well as an ability to execute
- Exceptional negotiation skills and the ability to coach and develop others to do the same
- Transformative change management skills and self-awareness to take varying approaches with a dynamic set of stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and presentation communication skills with various audiences
- Comprehensive business process and systems knowledge, and the ability to identify and implement best practices
- Project and Program Delivery: Must have consistent track record of leading and delivering multiple large-scale, multi-functional projects at the same time
- Highly organized, with strong attention to detail, clarity, accuracy and conciseness
- Skills in all Procurement process disciplines including spend category / commodity management, negotiation, supplier selection, supplier value management, benefits capture, requisition to payment, and acquisition integration
- Expert understanding in e-procurement processes and systems
- Expert level financial planning, budgeting and forecasting skills
- Experience with modern ERP/MRP software systems and associated procurement system
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/VP--Chief-Procurement-Officer_R0015811-1
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency