Assistant Editor, Cancer Immunology Research
Job Title: Assistant Editor, Cancer Immunology Research
Job Category: Full-time/Exempt
Reports To: Senior Associate Editor, Cancer Immunology Research
Location: Philadelphia, Boston, or Washington DC
About Cancer Immunology Research:
Cancer Immunology Research publishes outstanding original articles reporting major advances in cancer immunology that span the discipline from basic investigations in host-tumor interactions to developmental therapeutics in model systems, early translational studies in patients, and late-stage clinical trials. The journal disseminates knowledge of immunology to the cancer research community, catalyzing cross-disciplinary work that yields a deeper understanding of the host-tumor relationship, more potent cancer treatments, and improved clinical outcomes.
The AACR has an exciting opportunity for an individual passionate about the intersection of cancer research and immunology, and who is considering a non-bench career, to join the editorial team of Cancer Immunology Research as Assistant Editor.
The Assistant Editor, Cancer Immunology Research, will handle manuscript submissions throughout the review process. This person will also commission reviews and other content, write and edit for the journal, and promote the journal through outreach and networking efforts. As a key member of the team, the Assistant Editor, Cancer Immunology Research, will have a highly visible role both within the Association and in the larger cancer research community.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to policy implementation in conjunction with the Senior Associate Editor.
- Assist the Senior Associate Editor in managing/participating in the peer-review process to ensure quality and timely handling of submissions.
- Assist the Senior Associate Editor with development, composition, and editing of content.
- Communicate with authors, editors, reviewers, and readers regarding all aspects of the journal.
- Collaborate with the Editors-in-Chief and Senior Associate Editor to identify and attract exceptional original research, reviews, and special feature content in the broad field of cancer immunology.
- Represent the journal and the AACR at scientific meetings and institutional visits.
- Stay abreast of the field and develop excellent relationships with the research community.
- Collaborate with the staff of the eight “sibling” AACR journals to ensure good communication and promotion of synergistic opportunities.
Required Education and Training:
- PhD with postdoctoral experience in a biomedical or clinical science.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Expertise in immunology and/or cancer science.
- Publication record in cancer research, with cancer immunology research highly desirable.
- Evaluation of manuscripts during the peer-review process or as an editorial board member for cancer or cancer-related biomedical journals.
- Ability to communicate directly with researchers and to translate technical scientific content to scientists working in other disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Independent, self-motivated, consistently demonstrating initiative and commitment.
- Must be able to travel to relevant scientific meetings and research institutes.
How To Apply:
This position offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package. If you are interested in being considered for this position, please submit a cover letter explaining why you are interested, along with your current curriculum vitae to https://careers-aacr.icims.com/jobs/1192/assistant-editor%2c-cancer-immunology-research/job .
About the AACR:
Founded in 1907, the American Association for Cancer Research (AACR) is the world’s first and largest professional organization dedicated to advancing cancer research and its mission to prevent and cure cancer. AACR membership includes 47,000 laboratory, translational, and clinical researchers; population scientists; other health care professionals; and patient advocates residing in 127 countries. The AACR marshals the full spectrum of expertise of the cancer community to accelerate progress in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer by annually convening more than 30 conferences and educational workshops—the largest of which is the AACR Annual Meeting, with more than 100,000 attendees for the 2020 virtual meetings and more than 22,500 attendees for past in-person meetings. In addition, the AACR publishes nine prestigious, peer-reviewed scientific journals and a magazine for cancer survivors, patients, and their caregivers. The AACR funds meritorious research directly as well as in cooperation with numerous cancer organizations. As the Scientific Partner of Stand Up To Cancer, the AACR provides expert peer review, grants administration, and scientific oversight of team science and individual investigator grants in cancer research that have the potential for near-term patient benefit. The AACR actively communicates with legislators and other policymakers about the value of cancer research and related biomedical science in saving lives from cancer. For more information about the AACR, visit www.AACR.org.
Equal Opportunity Employer