Portfolio Medical Pathologist
Who we are and what we do
Roche Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED) Oncology translates world-class science into medical innovation through a diversity of technologies and talents located across research centers worldwide. We deliver on individual patient needs through a deep understanding of disease biology and the implementation of Personalized Healthcare strategies. Our Vision is to develop curative medicines for cancer patients. Our Mission is to transform pioneering scientific discoveries into effective medicines. pRED Oncology focus on 3 key areas of expertise which are Cancer Immunotherapy, Cancer Cell Target and Tumor Micro-environment.
The Early Biomarker Development Oncology (EBDO) Team is responsible for identification and validation of candidate molecular biomarkers used for demonstration of pharmacodynamic effects and mechanism-of-action, as well as for response prediction and patient selection / stratification. The EBDO Team supports the whole oncology portfolio and closely interacts with Discovery and Early Clinical Development.
The job in a nutshell
As a Portfolio Pathologist, you are part of the Digital Pathology team within EBDO and are responsible for developing the tissue biomarker strategy across several Oncology projects. You are an expert on tumor tissue analysis and Digital Pathology approaches. You generate key insights from tissue data to support drug development decision making.
- You are part of a cross-functional Digital Pathology team to be at the forefront of tissue biomarker for Oncology
- You are an expert on analysis of tumor tissue and its application to Drug Development, including Digital Pathology and multi-dimensional analysis
- You drive key biomarker and pathology capabilities across the Early Clinical Development Oncology pipeline (Phase 1, 1b, 2)
- As a Portfolio Pathologist for Oncology Drug Development Projects, you:
- Are responsible for the content, scientific and medical input for a portfolio of pre-clinical and early clinical projects,
- Develop a deep expertise through study analysis and thorough knowledge of literature,
- Deliver on a milestone basis key written and oral reports to project teams supporting the Clinical Development Plan and addressing clinical development questions,
- Use your expertise to guide and challenge the use of tissue biomarkers
- You lead external academic partnerships as they relate to tissue biomarkers and/or digital pathology.
- You own a MD by training and are a board certified pathologist
- With at least 5 years of professional experience in Research and Development
- Experience in tissue biomarkers such as discovering/developing insights from the analysis of tumors and tissues into testable clinical hypotheses
- Experience in supervising, exploring, developing and analyzing tissue analysis techniques such as immuno-histochemistry, multiplex immuno-fluorescence and spatial-omics approaches
- Experience and interest in developing cutting edge digital pathology approaches are required.
- Strong background in cancer biology, cancer genetics and immunology
- Expertise in the discovery, development and utilization of biomarkers and biomarker technologies
- Expertise in tissue biomarkers, including digital pathology and image analysis
- Team player: you are capable of working independently, but you enjoy working in a team where there are no single hero and both successes as well as failures are accounted for by the whole team
- Curiosity and drive: you are willing to propose and explore new ideas by your own initiative. You take ownership and are able to engage people to work on innovative approaches
- Strategic thinking: you see the big picture, take changes as an opportunity to grow, understand end-to-end processes
- Matrix Leadership: you are a good communicator and have strong persuasion and influencing capabilities to drive project needs and lead others in a matrix environment, you are able to manage multiple interfaces
- Personality: you are goal-oriented, have a strong drive, analytical mindset and motivation to achieve excellence.
If you are proud of contributing and feel you have the dedication to teamwork and innovation that we are seeking, then Roche is the organization for you. Every role at Roche plays a part in making a difference to patients’ lives. If you want to work in a passionate team, make your mark & improve lives, apply now.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.