Global Head of Compliance Monitoring
Global Head of Compliance Monitoring
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gileads therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.
Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the companys five core values. Thats because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossible
We are seeking the Global Head of Compliance Monitoring, reporting to the Senior Associate General Counsel, Global Compliance, to assist in enhancing Gilead's healthcare compliance program.
The Global Head of Compliance Monitoring will offer strategic input and perspective to Compliance Leadership Team and other members of the Global Compliance organization, concerning the effective monitoring and oversight of business activities to ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and policies. Such monitoring and oversight activity will include data analytics and risk-based sampling to identify potential areas of concern, observation at various activities and events, and support of potential investigations and complaints. The Global Head of Compliance Monitoring will work closely with colleagues within the Global Compliance organization and across different functions in order to leverage information from relevant systems in identifying and addressing potential compliance-related issues. The Global Head of Compliance Monitoring will contribute to the continued enhancement of a culture of integrity, supporting the company's Core Values.
Essential Duties and Job Functions
The Global Head of Compliance Monitoring will lead a team of compliance professionals and be responsible for leading the design, development, and implementation of a monitoring program at a company-wide level, to be cascaded in partnership with other legal and compliance colleagues, and various business functions, including IT, Commercial, Medical Affairs, Public Affairs, Government Affairs, Finance and Clinical, among others. A key goal of this position is to drive global consistency in our approach to compliance-related monitoring across affiliates and departments, and ensure Gilead and industry best practices are shared and adopted across geographies and functions.
Key responsibilities also include the following:
- Partner with stakeholders across Legal and various business functions to develop and align on a multi-faceted and scalable global monitoring strategy, including the use of data analytics, robotics, and artificial intelligence from relevant systems and platforms, live observation of various activities and events, and other risk-based strategies.
- Collaborate with the Global Head of Compliance Systems and Transparency and IT to evolve the company's compliance-related systems in order to automate further the capture of relevant information and facilitate the use of data analytics, robotics and artificial intelligence algorithms to identify and monitor business activity.
- Capture and report compliance-related metrics obtained through monitoring.
- Partner with other Legal and Compliance colleagues, and various business functions to ensure understanding of these stakeholders' strategic vision and initiatives, and identify ways of conducting appropriate monitoring to support operational excellence in both business activity and compliance.
- Develop an annual monitoring plan informed by an annual risk assessment exercise.
- Collaborate with the Global Head of Compliance Training and Communications, the Compliance Leadership Team, and various business functions to ensure timely and appropriate action is taken to address potential risks and issues identified through periodic risk assessments and compliance monitoring.
- Partner with various business functions to explore ways in which monitoring-related data may be used to support business strategy and objectives in a compliant manner.
- Use broad strategic thinking to analyze the characteristics of the legal, enforcement, and business environment, and identify methods of adapting monitoring to meet those characteristics.
- Drive strategic management of compliance-related monitoring program, including partnership with relevant stakeholders such as IT and Finance.
- Provide compliance monitoring-related reporting support to affiliates worldwide, on an as-needed basis. This includes providing substantive direction to in-country Transparency and Monitoring Specialists on developing, executing and reporting on their annual compliance monitoring plans.
- Foster an energizing work environment where employees have impact on our patient-centric mission and can grow their careers. Enables robust development and succession planning within the healthcare compliance program. Inputs to talent management, strategic resourcing and succession processes.
- Align within the broader global legal organization to ensure the team partners effectively across all functions within Gilead.
- Connect other departments of Legal across the company concerning compliance-related data capture systems (e.g., International Legal, Global Therapeutic Area Legal, Data Privacy, Litigation & Investigations, Intellectual Property, Legal Operations).
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
Gilead is looking for an experienced leader from the biotech and/or pharmaceutical industry with proven cultural adaptability across geographies. Ideally the successful candidate will have gained exposure to working within an organization with a US-based headquarters, as well as experience with operations in major markets worldwide. The candidate must have a strong background and exposure to compliance-related systems and transparency reporting requirements across the globe.
Detailed requirements include:
- 12+ years of relevant prior industry experience relating to drugs, devices, or food products. Experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries required, including extensive professional experience advising on anti-bribery laws, industry code requirements, and other compliance mandates.
- Juris doctor or equivalent preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Able to exercise judgment and propose courses of action where precedent may not exist.
- In-depth understanding of business objectives and how those translate into healthcare compliance priorities to deliver advice and guidance to the business.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, an inquisitive mind, and the ability to work effectively in a global, matrixed organisation with multiple functions, together with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
- Experience with systems and structures that facilitate an efficient and effective compliance program.
- Experience, confidence, resilience and gravitas to work with senior Executives and able to establish rapport with key stakeholders and client.
- Managerial experience preferred.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility with diverse audiences and be perceived as an empowering leader yet be hands-on when necessary. Consistently retains a sense of the bigger picture.'
- International and domestic travel.
Personal Competencies/ Behaviours
The ideal candidate will be solutions- and results-orientated. S/he will display personal and professional maturity and have a strong work ethic and personal integrity.
- Proven leadership skills with an ability to set a vision, inspire, champion change, and drive innovative thinking
- Collaborative, team player that leads by example
- Strong strategic thinking skills with ability to see the big picture, and to formulate and execute strategy
- Excellent influencing, interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to network, engage and partner with other functions, both within a country and within broader regional/Global structures, and establish positive relationships
- Strong judgment with proven ability to identify to implement solutions
- Strong organizational and project management skills and ability to execute through others
- Proven analytical skills and sound judgment
- Practical approach to problem-solving
- Consistently demonstrate and adhere to Gilead's Core Values and create and inspire a team culture committed to the same
- Gilead Core Values Additional Section
- Integrity (always doing the right thing)
- Teamwork (collaborating in good faith)
- Excellence (working at a high level of commitment and capability)
- Accountability (taking personal responsibility)
- Inclusion (encouraging diversity)
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law' poster.
NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACT
YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACT
PAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site to apply for this job.
To apply, visit https://gilead.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/gileadcareers/job/United-States---California---Foster-City/Global-Head-of-Compliance-Monitoring_R0013419
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency