Senior Computational Biologist (Machine Learning)
About the Department
At Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI) our scientists apply cutting-edge technologies to early R&D projects with the goal of bringing real change to People with Diabetes and Obesity. Your skills, dedication and ambition will help change lives for the better and you will work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive changes to defeat serious chronic conditions. We recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which stimulates a strong culture of ingenuity and innovation and our support of a healthy work-life balance adds to a best-in-class employee experience. As a new focus area, we aim to build up a dynamic computational team, which will leverage structure-based design, computational biology and machine learning expertise to the drug discovery process. Our aim is to strengthen target identification and drug design processes at NNRCSI and through global collaboration across our R&D sites. This team will implement state-of-the-art structural modelling and machine learning technologies to improve functional and biophysical properties of proteins, peptides and new molecular format for future therapies. They will build up bioinformatics expertise spanning areas from sequence analysis, computer vision and different omics and pathway analysis. This team will work in a flexible, cross-functional setting in close collaboration with experimentalists to drive pre-clinical projects with very ambitious scientific goals. They will have external collaborations with academic and biotech partners within computational drug discovery in North America. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Senior Computational Biologist (Bioinformatics) will contribute to the Department of Computational Drug Discovery by analyzing and combining big data sets (e.g. next gen seq (NGS) RNA-seq, whole genome seq (WGS) etc.) to identify new potential drug targets or biomarkers, tissue targeting prediction, help elucidate molecular mode-of-action of new drug targets as well as increase understanding of disease mechanisms. The Senior Scientist will analyze experimental results to suggest and design the next experiments in close collaboration with project teams across the whole organization. The Senior Scientist will communicate and formulate strategies to ensure a world leading role for the department with computational biology.
This role will ensure that the department can execute cutting-edge algorithms within bioinformatics and machine learning and thereby establish it as leading in the form of published articles, patents, or pre-clinal study reports. The person will be innovative and lead initiatives to onboard new technologies into the department.
- Initiate and design experiments to identify new targets or biomarkers
- Design statistical and machine-learning models to analyze large-scale collections of sequence data
- Implement and evaluate new algorithms (e.g. for analysis or prediction)
- Proactively initiate collaborations both internally as well as externally
- Integrate transcriptomics data with different data (e.g. proteomics, metabolomics, transcriptomics)
- Ensure awareness of recent success within bioinformatics and state-of-the-art machine learning
- Automate design and analysis pipelines for target screening and sequencing analysis
- Prepare and present research in top-leading journals or conferences
- Prepare and present written and oral reports/dashboards to scientists/non-scientists
Approximately 0-10% overnight travel.
- PhD required, in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Computational Biology, or other relevant areas preferred
- 6+ years of relevant experience in computational biology or bioinformatics either from academia or industry required
- Part of the 6+ years of relevant experience includes:
- Working experience with high dimension datasets (e.g. single cell, proteomics, or WGS data)
- Experience with reduction of multidimensionality of data and ability to visualize big datasets required
- Demonstrated experience using machine learning to analyze high dimensional biological datasets required
- Experience with experimental design, statistical hypothesis testing, and biological interpretation of data required
- Experience with new target discovery or biomarker identification preferred
- Experience with initiating and leading projects within drug discovery and target identification preferred
- Knowledge of cloud computing e.g. AWS preferred
- Ability to work independently and in teams, and to collaborate with external parties
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Novo Nordisk is an Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.