Network R&D Operations Manager
At Roche, we believe it is urgent to deliver medical solutions now – even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about improving the lives of patients with brain diseases, and strive for ambitious ideas, innovative approaches and urgent action. Our belief is that our success as a company will come from developing therapies for patients in need, which is why we come to work every single day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigor, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
Within Roche’s Pharma Research and Early Development (pRED), Neuroscience & Rare Diseases represents a major focus area where we are committed to realizing our long-term vision of changing lives of patients with severe brain disorders. Our preclinical research and early clinical development activities center around large and rare indications within the four major pillars of neurodevelopmental disorders, movement disorders, dementias, and multiple sclerosis. With unparalleled strengths across diverse disciplines, Roche is uniquely positioned to lead in transforming science to medicines for patients with disorders of the nervous system.
To achieve our goals, Roche pRED Neuroscience & Rare Diseases is currently undergoing a major and exciting recruitment effort for a large number of new positions including a Network R&D Operations Manager within the Department of Operations. All positions are based in Basel, Switzerland.
The Position To fulfill our vision of truly changing the world of neurosciences and rare diseases and the lives of patients with devastating brain disorders, we need to collaborate with the smartest innovators, scientists and entrepreneurs within Roche and outside. The focus of NRD Operations is to support our DTA departments and networks towards the successful delivery of the portfolio from target assessment to completion of early clinical development. You are a highly committed team member that facilitates networking of researchers and clinicians internally to NRD, pRED and Roche and also supports effective strategies to access innovative exploratory medicines through external collaborations to strengthen the Roche NRD portfolio. In addition, you support the NRD Departments in relevant business processes and acts as a central coordinator. You will provide an objective perspective on the NRD DTA operations to enable quality decision-making, ensure effective resource utilization and improve team performance, processes, and knowledge sharing. As such, the position has a unique ability to impact the current and future success of the pRED NRD DTA.
- Support disease-area network and department operations by strengthening project integration and alignment with pRED-wide global functions and research communities
- Track current NRD portfolio, supporting portfolio analysis and context updates
- Support Network coordination of external collaborations and partnerships, and ensure that projects executed with external partners are appropriately reported in the pRED portfolio systems
- Support Network scientific communication strategies and application for internal pRED resources
- Support Network project financial management, budget requests, POs and contracts
- Provide program/project management expertise to the Research Project Leaders driving planning excellence, preparation of comprehensive program recommendations, governance presentations and documents
- Facilitate the interface between research team members and pRED work processes, acting as the NRD "go-to-person" for general work processes questions or other inquiries
- Identify gaps, bottlenecks or delays, challenge assumptions and propose options to close gaps and get projects back on schedule. Develop trade-off options for rapid project progression or early project termination
- Partner with Research Project Leaders to foster and enable high performing team culture and community that is based on expertise and contribution of its members, shared responsibility, and the coordination of work towards common goals
- Support business operations, processes, compliance related activities and meeting management for the NRD DTA
- Exhibits a highly collaborative approach to influencing partners, balances a light touch with full commitment
You have a clear understanding of drug development, a track record of successfully managing pharmaceutical portfolios, and a strong experience in external collaborations. You have a keen interest and true passion for Neuroscience and Rare Diseases. You enjoy working with brilliant minds from academia, pharma and biotech.
- PhD in brain-related research is a must with at least 4 years of experience in drug discovery and early development in the pharmaceutical industry or contract research organisations with a good understanding of the neuroscience and rare disease franchise
- Business administration training is a plus
- Deep understanding of the relevant aspects of portfolio management and relevant portfolio management systems
- Proven strategic coordination of external collaborations is a must with a deep understanding of the public and private healthcare ecosystem
- Strong conceptual and analytical thinking with working experience in multidisciplinary teams and a demonstrated ability to translate strategy into action
- Strong project management and organizational skills, proactive working style with ability to structure and drive implementation
- Effective in collaborating with others internally and externally
- Adaptable, flexible and is able to thrive in an environment in constant change, maintaining objectivity, respect for differences of opinion, fairness, and ability to question and challenge and strive for continual improvement
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills. Clear, succinct and timely communication and ability to foster and build important relationships across the organization
- High emotional intelligence, with strong interpersonal, relationship management and networking skills
- Creative thinking and strong analytical skills with an open mindset that is service oriented and a strong ability to work independently
Are you ready to apply? Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represent a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.